Waveforms3 Beta

attila

Question

Hello,

I recommend using this hot-track with stopped acquisition.

The labels are updated and positioned on mouse movement, new acquisition... 
The default update rate is 10ms (100/sec). At this rate even if the label positions are fixed, with stable signal and correct trigger, the values are hard to read.

Which OS X version are you using? We noticed slow USB enumeration under OS X.11.0/1 but after the recent update, of 11.2 it seems to work normally again.

Yup, it looks like when I updated to 10.11.2 it solved the problem. Thanks!

Make sure the device is not attached to virtual machine.

I suppose you have installed the driver from the image or on application notice.

This driver should filter the load of default driver for Digilent products. Try manually unloading the driver with following command:

$ sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI

I installed the mac version of Waveforms3 (I'm running os x 10.9.4 on a mac book pro retina). When I start the Waveforms3 application it finds my Analog Discovery just fine and seems to be functional. When I select the menu item "Waveforms->About Waveforms" I get a dialog box that shows me the version number is 3.0.16, which is what I installed. However, when I copy the code from Device_Enumeration.py into a cell in an IPython notebook running on my mac, I get the following output:

DWF Version: 2.8.6
Number of Devices: 0

Shouldn't the dwf version number be 3.0.16? Also, why isn't the attached Analog Discovery found? I ran the ipython notebook code immediately after opening & then closing Waveforms3 (which successfully found the Analog Discovery).

The dwf library and WaveForms-3 application are separate projects so they have different versioning.

I suppose you have executed the "Install Runtime" from the package and you don't get any error message when running the script, before "DWF Version:".

Please try using the OS-X's default python application. I just tested the script on a clean 10.9.4 VM installation, it is able to find and to connect to the device.

Here is my set up:

I have installed the Anaconda python package (python 2.7.8) on my mac. The mac os x default python is also present on my mac (python 2.7.5).

The problem in my original post occurs when I use the Anaconda Launcher to start ipython in my browser (Safari) and then create a notebook and paste the code from Device_Enumeration.py into an input cell and run it. This returns:

Number of Devices: 0

On the other hand, Device_Enumeration.py runs just fine and sees the Analog Discovery for the following two scenarios:

1. From Terminal, execute "which python" which returns "/Users/nordin/anaconda/bin/python", just to confirm which python is being used. I then execute Device_Enumeration.py and it works fine.

2. Edit .bash_profile to remove the anaconda/bin directory from my PATH. Start a new Terminal window, "which python" now returns "/usr/bin/python". I then execute Device_Enumeration.py and again it works fine.

So it appears that both python installations can see the Analog Discovery when run from the terminal. The problem is running the code from within an ipython notebook. This is a serious issue for me as I am evaluating using ipython notebooks from an Anaconda installation (which is a convenient scientific python distribution available for all platforms) and Analog Discoveries in undergraduate courses and labs.

I suppose there are some security issues with Anaconda Server on OS-X.

I got the same results as you, but on Windows it is working.

Number of Devices: 1
------------------------------
Device 0 : 
	Digilent Discovery
	SN:210244000000
	Analog input channels: 2
	Max freq: 100000000.0
Out[1]:

I have no problem accessing an Analog Discovery from ipython notebook from within Windows running on VMware with the SDK that comes with Waveforms2 (which I've been doing for several months) so it sounds like there is something wrong with the ipython server on the mac. I suppose it would make sense to install ipython into the default mac os x python package and test again to determine if it's the ipython server on the mac or the Anaconda implementation of the ipython server.

Apparently it's not such a good idea to use the default mac installation for the test above so tonight I installed homebrew, python 2.7.9, virtualenv, and ipython & ipython notebook with all of its dependencies. Using this installation, I then tried to connect to the Analog Discovery from within an ipython notebook, but got the same negative result. Running a re-named version of Device_Enumeration.py was successful in communicating with the Analog Discovery. I'll email you the ipython notebook I used which contains more information.

I'm not sure what to say about the renaming solution, how did this help...

I could access the Analog Discovery under OS-X using IPython notebook from Enthought Canopy, but not from Continuum Anaconda. I'm not familiar with this system, but I will try again to look into this problem later.

I'm not sure what to say about the renaming solution, how did this help...

I could access the Analog Discovery under OS-X using IPython notebook from Enthought Canopy, but not from Continuum Anaconda. I'm not familiar with this system, but I will try again to look into this problem later.

Sorry--renaming the file had nothing to do with its success. I just mentioned it because I happened to have renamed the file for a different (unimportant) reason.

Ok, I just installed Canopy and have the following results when running the code from Device_Enumeration.py in an ipython notebook in the following python installations on my laptop (mac os 10.9.4):

1. Anaconda 2.1.0 (python version 2.7.9, ipython version 2.3.1): can't talk to Analog Discovery

2. Fresh installation of python using homebrew, and then install ipython with all of its dependencies for ipython notebook (python version 2.7.9, ipython version 2.3.1): same result as with Anaconda - fails

3. Canopy 1.5.1 64 bit (python version 2.7.6, ipython version 2.3.1): works just fine

The only difference I see between these is that Canopy uses python 2.7.6 rather than 2.7.9. In all cases the ipython version is the same.

Here are a few other cases with Anaconda I tried that also fail:

1. Anaconda 2.0.0, Python 2.7.6, IPython 2.1.0

2. Anaconda 2.1.0, Python 2.7.8, IPython 2.2.0

I couldn't install IPython 2.3.1 with Python 2.7.6 under Anaconda using the conda package manager, which apparently updates python to 2.7.9 from 2.7.6 when you try to update ipython from 2.1.0 to 2.3.1.

I got the latest download, digilent.waveforms_v3.0.17.dmg, and installed both, the driver and the app.

When I launch WFs, I get "No device detected" message even though my AD is connected. WF runs fine in DEMO mode.

Any suggestions?

Hi, I'm considering to buy the Analog Discovery, but I have a Mac. I am wondering how well the beta version works with OS X Yosemite? I don't want to buy the Analog Discovery if I can't use it (yet) at all. But I'd consider buying it if the beta version works OK with OS X for now, I can live with a couple of bugs.

What is your experience? Does the beta version work mostly OK on a Mac, or should I wait for it to improve?

Archived