Waveforms3 Beta

attila

Question

Just tried with a freshly installed armbian 4.3 (wheezy-based):

WaveForms3 is running fine, but (at least) one limitation caused by the outdated system - no drivers for hardware-accelerated video-output available - oscilloscope output doesn't seem to be as smooth as I expected/wished.

Still hoping for a WaveForms version linked against libicu52!

I have just installed the same system (Debian Jessie amd64, Adept Runtime 2.16.1-2, WaveForms 3.0.28) and it is working with Analog Discovery.

The error you received indicates that Adept Runtime files are missing. Please try to reinstall it.

Just received an Analog Discovery module.  Installed the most recent 'deb' packages on my 64-bit Debian 'jessie' (stable) system.

"Waveforms" starts fine in demo mode, and the AD module is detected when plugged in.

The problem is that when I click on the dialog box to use the AD module, it fails with the message:

JtscInitScanChain failed ERC:0x3e9

Device programming failed.

I saw that a similar message was posted last April.  Is there a fix for this problem?

Thanks--

I just tried the latest version on my mac pro 2009 early. It takes about 2 minutes to start up, first taking forever to locate the connected discovery, then taking forever after it is loaded. On my macbook, running the same version of the os it launches almost instantly. Is there anything I can do to give you more info to help debug this? It happens either on the native usb2 ports and also on the pci-card based usb3 ports I added. The board I use for usb3 has an apple supported chip set and needs no drivers. After taking forever to load it does seem to work properly.

Which OS X version are you using?
We noticed slow USB enumeration under OS X.11.0/1 but after the recent update, of 11.2 it seems to work normally again.

Hi, I've found an irritating glitch: when using marker on the oscilloscope ( the type activated by a double click ) some values indicated by this are unreadable due to constant shaking. See the attached video for details. The platform is debian stable  (uname --all -> "Linux m-pc 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u1 (2015-12-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux ").

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bszss0y8x97kzny/out-2.ogv?dl=0

Note : the video is 15 FPS, so the glitch does not look too bad, but in reality is more irritating. The value field changes its place more often than 15 times per second (sampling ... sampling)

Hello,

I recommend using this hot-track with stopped acquisition.

The labels are updated and positioned on mouse movement, new acquisition... 
The default update rate is 10ms (100/sec). At this rate even if the label positions are fixed, with stable signal and correct trigger, the values are hard to read.

Which OS X version are you using? We noticed slow USB enumeration under OS X.11.0/1 but after the recent update, of 11.2 it seems to work normally again.

Yup, it looks like when I updated to 10.11.2 it solved the problem. Thanks!

Hello,

1,2,3 are solved for the next version.
4. Under Time options select "Position as division" and base will not affect the screen trigger position, "5 div" will be left most and "-5 div" right position.

Thank you for your observations.

Position as division is awesome! Thanks for pointing it out. 

Hello,

The application is based on Qt5 and for ARM the libraries are built under Wheezy. As I have some "free time" I will look into this dependency issue.
To load other Qt libraries the /usr/lib/digilent/waveforms/waveforms.sh can be edited or the libraries replaced in /usr/lib/digilent/waveforms/qtlibs, ../imageformats, ../platforms.

Hello,

I'm using WaveForms3 on a x86_64 machine running OpenSuse 13.1 and it is working fine. I'm planning to have it running on a cubietruck, attached to the back of a LCD-monitor at my workbench and there is a problem:

The Cubietruck (arm-architecture) is running armbian (kernel 3.4.108-sunxi, progs and libs based on ubuntu trusty). WafeForms3 doesn't start, it complains the absence of libicui18n.so.48, libicuuc.so.48 and libicudata.so.48. Libicu52 is installed, libicu48 (or 4.8) is not available for trusty. So I set 3 symlinks from the mentioned .48-libs to the respective .52-libs.

Now WafeForms complains an undefined symbol (u_strToLower_48). u_strToLower-routine is defined in libicuuc.so, in my case in libicuuc.so.52 and is named u_strToLower_52!

Has anybody an idea for a quick workaround? Ok, I could install a debian-wheezy based distribution - wheezy has libicu48 but on the other hand - wheezy is a bit outdatet too!

Is there a chance that WaveForms3 final may be based on libicu52?

It is normal to have the Analog Discovery listed as FTDI USB device.
I see this "locked window" only on 64bit Ubuntu when no device is found, on 32bit Ubuntu, Windows and OS-X gets properly closed... I hope to get it solved for the next version.

To detect the device please try restarting the computer or reinstalling the Adept Runtime package.

Hi, I've just installed "digilent.adept.runtime_2.16.1-2_amd64.deb" and "digilent.waveforms_3.0.#_amd64.deb" on my Ubuntu 14.04 and after a reboot I can't access my Analog Discovery (the device is not available in the device selection list). I've tried to run it both as a user and the root.

The AnalogDiscovery device is working well when I test it with windows xp inside Virtualbox. (yes, I am sure, that the AnalogDiscovery is not connected to the virtualbox when running WaveForms on linux).

Strange thing - when I run "lsusb" the AnalogDiscovery entry is "Bus 002 Device 015: ID 0403:6014 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232H Single HS USB-UART/FIFO IC". I am 99% sure, that previously it was different - the name didn't include anything about FTDI,instead there was something about  Digilent.

One more problem - when I run WaveForms there are a damaged window that pops above the others. It can't be closed, but disappears after selecting a demo mode from device manager. See the attached screenshot.

PS I have libc6 version 2.19-ubuntu6.6

Is there a known solution to the problem?

Screenshot from 2015-09-04 12:07:18.png

Thanks for the reply attila,

for #2, using the peak hold on the spectrum analyzer is ok I guess.  Still, the neat thing about the network analyzer is that it has a tracked sweep.  It's likely that it's just an amplitude measurement, not bandpassed, but it's still nice that the system is closed loop in network analyzer mode.   I don't think the system would be closed loop in spec. an. mode. If it's possible in the future, it would be great to see this feature added.

#3...yes, I see the option now

#4 Again, you are right.  Very cool.  From WF2, a lot of the fields could be edited manually, I guess I just didn't think that was the case for the data length.

One more thing I'd like to see is a scroll button option to change the range (time or voltage) up and down on the scope.  It's nice to have the pull down (combobox) option as well, but sometimes moving from one range to the next is all I want, not to necessarily have to find my current range and then select the next range up or down from there.  (I also recognize this field can be edited manually).

Again, I'll update if I can think of anything else to help this product.

The scope persistence and patterns custom data table are not yet added.

1. Sweep averaging is not yet supported, but measurements and fft/spectrum are.
2. You can use the spectrum analyzer peak hold option for stereo analysis.
3. The instruments beside tabs can be set for separate window, MDI or docking organization. 
The sub windows (like measurements, histogram, wavegen channels) can be reorganized just like in WF v2.
4. Most of the input fields are editable. Values in the dropdowns are just presets and custom values can be entered, like power of two sample numbers.

Thank you for your feedback.

asd.png

I just downloaded the latest beta last night, 3.0.28.  2.7.5 is a good version and even though the GUI has changed, with the beta it seems most of the features are maintained! Cool!  However, from the list of things missing in the beta, persistence missing in the list.  Persistence is not in the beta for Scope mode (histogram, fft, etc.).  In the pattern generator, I can't figure out how to manually edit the data in custom mode. In 2.7.5, there was a column of data (in cells) that could be manipulated, but I don't see this anymore.  This interface is a bit clunky now.  I didn't mind the 2.7.5 version at all.

Some features I'd like to see:

1. 2.7.5 and beta:  Averaging of scope data...i see the ADC has an averaging mode, but I guess I mean an actual averaging of raw data point.

2. 2.7.5 and beta:I wish the network analyzer didn't expect both inputs to be sourcing signal from the same generator output.  It would be nice to be able to do absolute stereo frequency response sweeps instead of a mono frequency response sweep or transfer function. Don't get me wrong, measuring a transfer function is nice feature, but independent channel frequency responses is nice too.

3. Beta: I preferred when the wavegen had both channels on the same window.  The tabbed approach just seems to add more clicking.  I do appreciate the simple/basic option.

4. It would be nice if the data capture from the scope was in powers of 2. The only one available is 8192 (2^13).

I guess I can update later if I think of anything more. Thanks,

In the earlier version with time base above 100ms/div the Run mode switched by default to Scan Screen. 

Now to switch to Scan Screen fold the advanced options (up/down arrow in top-right edge) and select Run Screen:

asd.png

Hi, 

I've downloaded the 3.0.25 version for Ubuntu, and it the way the waveform is displayed has changed in the scope. I have noticed when using a big time base like 1second since, the waveform in the screen is refreshed every 10 seconds. In the last version it was refreshing the waveform as it was sampling sort of a roll.

I was doing this same thing with the last version 3.0.24 and it did it just fine. Could I get a link to that old version?

Thank you.

Archived