Logic capture into file?

Jazzjohn

Question

Hi,

These  are pre-purchase questions. 

Does the Digital Discovery have the ability to store data captured by the logic analyzer and save in a spreadsheet file on the PC running the software?

Also, can the pattern generator output data from a spreadsheet file?

11 answers to this question

Hi @Jazzjohn,

Yes, you are able to export data that has been captured from the Logic Analyzer available in the WaveForms software as either a csv or a txt file with tab delimted files; you are also able to save an image of your current capture as well (for instance if you wanted to view the data around a particular trigger condition). There are some more details on the Logic Analyzer available here.

As for the second question, yes the Pattern Generator can also be configured to use your own custom data from a csv or txt file. More details on the Pattern Generator are available here.

The WaveForms software also has a demo mode where you try out some of these features for yourself, along with some in-built documentation in the Help tab in the GUI that'll have some more up to date details for the latest version than the reference manual links I provided.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you again @JColvin . I need a pattern that is too large for a 32kB per channel buffer. It's about a second's worth of 4 Mhz, 8 bit data.

Is it possible to run a script to access a larger buffer or file on a PC? If so, any coding examples would be greatly appreciated.

John

Hi @attila,

Just to clarify, for one channel is that 32k bytes or bits? In other words, can the buffer store approx. 32,000 zeros and ones or 8*32,000=128,000 zeros and ones?

Also, can one channel use buffer space of unused channels  as a way to increase its buffer? 

Finally, can a script directly output without using buffer space (as a way to get a longer sequence)?

Thank you very much.

The custom buffer size is 32k bits (samples) / channel and it is not possible to increase.
Eventually the samples (bits) could be sent out in chunks with a few millisecond interruptions required for reconfiguration.
Without buffering it would require toggling the lines from software, which would let around 100 bits / second.

On 5/7/2018 at 12:41 PM, attila said:

Eventually the samples (bits) could be sent out in chunks with a few millisecond interruptions required for reconfiguration.

Do you mean that through a script I can, for example:

Load file 1 and send its bits out, load file 2 and send its bits, .... , load file N and send its bits out

and lose only a few milliseconds for the loading between files?

9 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @Jazzjohn

Yes, you can send out data in chunks. The gap between these will be uncertain, depending on computer and software.

image.thumb.png.444a6d950e28d05f4bf51e86c299f62b.png

@attila

Please explain if I am missing something. This seems to be a Logic Analyzer screenshot, but we've been discussing the Pattern Generator. 

I can rephrase the question: Is there a way to send out, through the Pattern Generator, one second's worth of 4 Mhz data stored in a file or multiple files? 

Thank you.

Hi @Jazzjohn

The screenshot is a Logic Analyzer capture of data being sent out on Pattern Generator. More exactly sent out by Protocol tool / SPI, which uses Pattern Generator resources.
I added this to see the gaps between the chunks of data, if it is suitable for your requirements.

You can use Protocol tool of the WaveForms application to send out data (UART,SPI,I2C,CAN), write a custom application/script based on WF SDK, or use the WF Script tool to load and feed data for Pattern Generator:

image.thumb.png.dbdf5aa7a7963a703714d5ec2c538b9e.png

Archived