Basys3 Malfunctioned

Daniel

Question

I recently purchased a Basys3 FPGA for a class, and I cannot get it to connect through the USB cable. When I plug it in and turn it on, Windows pops up with the "USB Device Not Recognized" message. When I open up device manager it says "Device Descriptor Request Failed". Here are the relevant facts:

• When I first unboxed it, I was able to get it to interface with my computer two times before it suddenly stopped working
  • My professor unplugged his working FPGA, with a working cable, and a working computer and plugged in my FPGA. His computer had the same error. He then plugged in his own FPGA, and it worked.
  • Besides that, I have tried at least 4 different USB cables on my computer
  • I have tried interfacing it with my Linux computer and my Windows 7 (in addition to my Windows 8)
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and the drivers
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled my USB hub drivers
  • I have removed all power sources and discharged the motherboard
  • I have done practically every other black magic ritual and incantation people claim can solve the generic "USB Device Not Recognized" error

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I'm obviously no expert; I just bought this, but I'm starting to believe it is actually broken.

1 answer to this question

Hello Daniel,

I just answered you on the Digilent Technical support mail you sent. 

Unfortunately, most probably your board is defective (at least the USB looks to be broken), so we will replace it. Please answer my mail and provide the delivery details so we can proceed with replacement.

Thank you,

Cristian

Archived