Anvyl board repair

JavierS

Question

Hello. I have an Anvyl board bought one year ago. I was learning FPGAs programming with this board but after a test it i didn't use the board maybe couple weeks, and when i wish to continue with the learning it is not working more. I suspect that it had a damage during an electric storm. 

I tried to measure the main voltages (3.3V, 1.8V and 1.2V) but any neither working.

It seems that the IC23 (1.8V supply for the core) is damaged because it heats up when connecte to the 5 V power supply. I extracted from the PCB, but I do not have the other voltages either.

Could you help me to find the failure or could you recomended how to repaired it

Thank you for the help.

3 answers to this question

HI @JavierS,

It sounds like you've already done most of the things that I'm going to ask about, but I want to double check to make sure I am understanding everything correctly:

You are using a 5V external power supply with the switch turned on; does the power LED (LED 19) also turn on when the power supply is attached?

What voltages do you see across the following capacitors (generally located beneath the 2x20 header J1)?
-C300, C302, C310 (should be 5V from the power supply)
-C307 (should be 3.3V)
-C315 (should be 1.2V)

I believe you indicated you removed IC23 (which provided the 1.8V for part of the FPGA and for the DDR2) due to it getting hot. Was this too hot to touch? The part will get warm, but is rated for -40 deg C to 85 deg C, and thermal shutdown capability built into it, but in case you did not remove it, could you also check these capacitors:
-C323 (should be 5V from the power supply)
-C324 (should be 1.8V).

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi JColvin, my answers bellow in green:

You are using a 5V external power supply with the switch turned on; does the power LED (LED 19) also turn on when the power supply is attached? NO, the power LED 19 is turned off.

What voltages do you see across the following capacitors (generally located beneath the 2x20 header J1)?
-C300, C302, C310 (should be 5V from the power supply)      5.2 V
-C307 (should be 3.3V)    0 V
-C315 (should be 1.2V)    0 V

I believe you indicated you removed IC23 (which provided the 1.8V for part of the FPGA and for the DDR2) due to it getting hot. Was this too hot to touch? The part will get warm, but is rated for -40 deg C to 85 deg C, and thermal shutdown capability built into it, but in case you did not remove it, could you also check these capacitors: with respect to warming, my finger didn't support the warm and i saw a hole on the IC body, that's why I removed it, I thought that was the damage (attach couple pictures to see. The IC was removed).

-C323 (should be 5V from the power supply)  5.2 V with IC23 remove it.
-C324 (should be 1.8V).  0 V before removing IC23 

Other data, resitance value measured with a multimeter accross the C309 / C308 / C307 is 0.3 ohm, C3016 / C315 is 2.2 ohm, C324 (with IC23 removed) is 4 ohm.

Thanks for repply and for your help.

Javier

IC23_1.jpeg

IC23_2.jpeg

Hi @JavierS,

I checked the values of the capacitors of an Anvyl board that I was able to find around the office and the voltages were as expected. The IC looked clean and didn't have any visible indent or hole (I was concerned that the hole shown in your image was an indent showing where pin 1 was located); I attached a picture of what the IC looked like for me.

Based on this it looks fairly conclusive that that IC23 (Analog Devices part number ADP2370ACPZ-1.8-R7) will need to be replaced for the board (as opposed to resoldered on). I am concerned that the IC22 is also damaged as am not able to readily cause the 1.2V and 3.3V lines to stop working by pulling a line low or high. I will look into this further.

Thanks,
JColvin

1.8 V regulator.jpg

Archived