Pmod Digilent and Simulink

jackn

Question

Hi, I want to buy ZedBoard, because i have to use it in simulink environment
(in ARM mode and FPGA mode) with AXI4-Stream. I need to use also the CAN
messages (https://it.mathworks.com/help/vnt/ug/canpack.html package), so i
want to buy also a Pmode CAN
(https://store.digilentinc.com/pmod-can-can-2-0b-controller-with-integrated-transceiver/).
My question is:
can the message of type CAN be loaded on board? or is a type not compatible?
In the past a old board doesn't give me the possibility to load this type of
messages.
thanks

6 answers to this question

Hello @jackn,

Those of us here at Digilent haven't used Simulink from MATLAB, so we can't speak towards the compatibility of that with the Zedboard.

Are you looking to receive or send the generated CAN message with the Pmod CAN? Looking at the page you linked, it seems that the Pmod CAN will be able to receive the message, though you would need additional hardware and wiring to get the data out from the Zedboard and to the Pmod CAN. In terms of sending the data, you would need to restructure the CAN message so that it is compatible with the Pmod CAN IP, presuming you are looking to use it.

Thanks,
JColvin

hi, i see that the link beetween zedboard and pmod digilent is spi (serial periphel interfaces), so my idea is: create a block with shift register (for SPI) and after link it to pmod ports of zedboard with HDL coder of simulink and AXI4 interface. is it correct?

Hi @jackn

There is a thread on this forum called "Zybo and PmodCAN" where you can find information about using CAN with Zynq. Zybo and Zedboard have the same CAN controller.

I like the idea of using Simulink with HDL coder. To my knowledge it is the main tool in auto industry for programming of control systems.

Good luck!

@jackn

PmodCAN has two parts: CAN controller and CAN PHY = transceiver providing CAN external interface.

Since Zynq ARM processors come with two CAN controllers you need only PHY breakout board to make it network compatible. You also need only some C-code programming for ARM processor. No block programming is necessary. You can find more details in the above mentioned post. 

Hi @jackn,

In addition to what @Notarobot mentioned, I wouldn't say the block in the Pmod IP tutorial is incompatible with the Zedboard so much as that tutorial does not offer explicit support for the Zedboard. That being said, as the Zedboard is a Zynq based board, you will be able to readily use the tutorial with the Zedboard so long as you use Digilent's board files for the Zedboard (as opposed to Avnets).

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived