JTAG SMT2 coolrunner programming

ELG_MPT

Question

Hi,

I am trying to use a JTAG-SMT2 board mounted on a custom PCB and connected to my board with a cable.
To do that i use a raspberry controlled remotely (the raspberry is version 3B and the OS is up to date). The programmation work fine with a windows computer and with digilent adept software.

The issue is that I get a segmentation fault error when I try tu use this command : "sudo djtgcfg prog -d JtagSmt2 -i 0 -f F102-03.00.jed". Scan chain work.

Does anyone had any solution for this problem ?

Thanks.

image.png.3c6d8b657f0936268144cfe8b6ec6225.png

image.png.3168121442d8e3e6b5c26d9b632aa050.png

10 answers to this question

Thank you for your answer,

I have no problem using Adept software on a computer the programation was successfull. I do this only to validate my cable/probe.

What I want to do is the same things on the rasberry with command line. But when I want to do that I get segmentation fault Error and the device isn't programmed succefully.

Erwan

Hi @ELG_MPT,

Oh, I see that now; I apologize for the confusion.

I'm personally not sure what the issue might be; I've asked another engineer who is much more familiar with our JTAG programmers and the configuration utility about this, but they are out of the office at the moment, so it may be a few days before I have a response for you.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @ELG_MPT,

Our design engineer responded that they have a Cmod C2 modules and was able to generate a JED file for it. They did not encounter any errors while programming from their Raspberry Pi 3B, which is running the latest release of Raspbian and is fully up to date.

rpi3:~ $ djtgcfg prog -d JtagSmt2 -i 0 -f CmodC2.jed 
Programming device. Do not touch your board. This may take a few minutes...
Programming succeeded.

It sounds like the only difference between what you are doing and what they are doing is programming an XC2C32A. The Cmod C2 has the XC2C64A on it. We do not have a board with the XC2C32A so they have no way of fully replicate your setup. You could try running it through gdb and doing a backtrace. That might at least tell us where it crashed.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @manuelreyes60,

I finally received a Cmod C2 that has the XC2C32A and was able to replicate the segfault that you reported on a Raspberry Pi 3b. I was also able to program the device successfully in Windows (according to Adept). I fired up the debugger on the Rasbberry Pi and was able to identify where there's a segfault. Based on what I've seen I'm surprised that the XC2C32A can be successfully programmed from any platform. It's pretty clear to me that this device was never tested, and that's probably the result of it not being utilized on any Digilent system board. My findings leave me wondering if the CPLD is even being properly programmed in Windows. The design that I implemented in ISE was so simple that it doesn't provide a good indication of proper functionality. Can you tell me if your design functions correctly when programmed into the CPLD from the Windows Adept application?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @manuelreyes60 and @ELG_MPT,

I managed to answer my own question by using the Adept Windows application to program the CPLD and then using iMPACT 14.7 to verify the contents of the CPLD against the JED configuration file. My suspicions proved to be correct and even though the Adept Windows application can program the XC2C32A without crashing, it does so incorrectly and does no pass verification in iMPACT. I'm happy to report that was able to modify the low level programming code and am now able to successfully program the XC2C32A from a Raspberry Pi 3b and have iMPACT pass image verification. I created a new installer for Adept Runtime 2.19.2, which will eventually be posted on the Digilent website. For now you can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8823fyamak9dgv/digilent.adept.runtime_2.19.2-armhf.deb?dl=0

At some point we will also publish new installers for Windows and x86/64-bit Linux that resolve this problem on those platforms.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi @malexander , @jpeyron and everyone involved,

I am sorry it took me so long to write but i was moved to another project but now i am back to this topic. I already tested on my side and it seems to be working fine. Thank you all for your effort and time to solve the problem and i am glad that now the software was improved. This tool is really useful and will really improve my application.

Thanks and best regards,

Manuel

Archived