Infos about MAX32

Dan84

Question

Hi, I probably have a weird question but it's my first time i put my nose out from the easy world of Arduino.

Said in a nutshell I want to learn to develop on PIC32 in the "PIC32 Way".

Because i am not satisfed with the microchip proposals, i've searched something else and I've saw the MAX32.

In order to buy it I've some questions:

1- i don't get if i can develop on with the classical "PIC C" (TRIS, PORT, LAT, direct calls to the registers, etc...) preferably with MPLAB X or I have to go only with arduino functions (digitalWrite... )

2-  i'm interested to flash it with a real programmer like ICD or PicKit, not only pass througth USB. Is this possibile ? Since ICD is really expensive what is the recommended PicKit version ? On ebay i've found a lot of PicKit 3 clones, are they a valid choice or trash ? Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Hi @Dan84,

You can program the Max32 with either MPLAB X manipulating the registers directly or use the Arduino IDE with the Digilent Core. You can manipulate registers directly through the Arduino IDE as demonstrated in this Instructable here as well.

You can flash the board with an ICD or a PICKit3. Digilent also has a chipKIT Programmer which functions the same (but I think is might be more specific to Digilent made PIC32 boards, but don't quote me on that). I don't know about the other ones you are thinking of, but in general I think most of them should be fine.

Thanks,
JColvin

If i want use mplab x with pickit the only thing i have to do is connect the max32 to the pc and start to flash or have i to do something else before that ?

If, in future, i wanted return to the original condition with the bootloader, can i download it ?

Hi @Dan84,

I believe you only have to connect the Max32 to the PC via the PICKit (or similar) and then you can flash it with the desired code, yes.

If you want to load the original bootloader, it is available for download on the Max32 Resource Center on the right hand side under Design Resources on our Wiki here.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived