MAX 32 Bootloader

KStock

Question

I have a number of Max32 boards. When I finish loading software into them, and reboot them, they stay in the bootloader and won't start the software installed until I reconnect to them using a serial monitor program like "putty". Any ideas how I can get them out of the bootloader without having to reconnect to the serial input. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Hi @KStock,

Are you using an external programmer of some kind, such as a PICKit3 or chipKIT Programmer? I believe the issue you are encountering here is that the P32_MCLR line is being held low, not releasing the FTDI chip. Is this similar to your setup?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi, JColvin

No, I'm not. I am using the USB (arduino) programmer. If I remove the USB cable and power it from another source, it still seams to wait for the serial to connect before releasing the processor. It is repeatable. I have 6+ boards and they all hang in the same way.

Thanks,

Keith

I don't believe the code has anything to do with this problem. The code doesn't get executed until the serial port is connected and then it works fine. We are using the MAX32 SKU# 410-202 and using MPIDE 0023.  

Something that I should have told you is that we are using a Ethernet Shield and that seems to make things worse. On power up, the LED#4 on the MAX32 blinks at a constant rate (along with a similar LED on the Enet shield. Every 10 or so seconds I see a quick ~700ns pulse on the MCLR causing the leds to do a quick blink and then back to their normal blink.

I was hoping that this was something that others had run into before because it is so repeatable on many boards.

Keith

HI @KStock,

Looking at the schematic for the Ethernet Shield that Digilent has (link), there shouldn't be any connections to that MCLR line. Are you using the same ethernet shield that I linked to? The other thing that can cause this reset (on any PIC32 device with this USB/FTDI setup) is if a new USB connection or COM port is established; this can be a serial terminal opening, flash drive being plugged in, another PIC32 board, etc. Is anything like that happening in your setup?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @KStock,

I think I found the solution/work-around, but unfortunately, it seems to be a hardware problem that will involve cutting a trace and seems to prevent the use of the SD card slot. The thread (and corresponding threads that it linked to) are on the chipKIT forum back from 2011 with the main one here, and the discussion about what the issue is on this thread here, which goes on for a couple of pages until you see the post that is referenced in that first link.

I do not have the Arduino Ethernet shield to test this (and the Digilent person on those threads retired a number of years ago), but looking at the Max32 hardware I have now and seeing the date of the Arudino Ethernet shield schematic (2010 is what I'm seeing), I do not think that a hardware board change has been made or a software change has been found.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived