Digital pattern generator and logic analyzer

Jacob

Question

Hi:

We are looking for a "digital logic analyzer and pattern generator" for our embedded development.

We need to, at the same time

--generate 32 channel signals using signal generator

--and observe another 32 channel signals with logic analyzers

We looked at your "digital discovery", and think it is a good candidate.

But it seems it can only generate 16 channel signals and analyze 32 channel signals.

For our needs, do you have other products you can suggest?

Or can the digital discovery be expanded to support our needs?

6 answers to this question

Hi @Jacob

Only the Electronics Explorer has 32 digital IO lines.
The Digital Discovery has 16 Digital IOs and 24 Digital Inputs. You could use 16+16 or 24+8 to capture 32 lines but due to different input stages there could be a few nanosecond delay skew between the IOs and inputs.

hi, @attila

I see.

Suppose I want to generate <10MHz 32 channel signal by combining 2 digital discovery. It should be OK, right?

How do I synchronize the 2 digital discovery, assuming a few nano second is acceptable?

(I can use the software to control the 2 digital discovery at the same time?)

Hi @attila

The Digital Discovery does not have dedicated external trigger lines. You could use any digital line to trigger, to synchronize the generators on an external signal. For this you would need a 3rd device to generate such signal, which could be also used at the same time to analyze the other 32 lines...

The Digital Discovery can be used to analyze 32 lines of data, but to generate 32 signals I would rather use an FPGA or MCU board.
https://store.digilentinc.com/fpga-programmable-logic/
https://store.digilentinc.com/embedded-processors/

hi @attila

Thanks. I will study how to generate 32-bit signal using FPGA or embedded processor, as you suggested.

From your link, there are a lot of options.

For my purpose of generating 32-bit signal, can you suggest one FPGA, and one embedded processor?

So I can study into it.

Hi @Jacob,

Are you looking to generate a single 32-bit digital signal or 32 individual signals on their own lines? Additionally, as a clarification, what frequency are you hoping to generate these signals at, <10 MHz like you mentioned before? Knowing this will help us make a better recommendation to you.

Thank you,
JColvin

@JColvin

My only goal is to generate 32 signal lines to drive another PCB board's inputs.

some of these 32 signal lines need to toggle at the same time, some need to have timing relationship with each other.

(I would like to program them)

So I guess, it is 32 individual signals on their own lines.

10MHz should be OK for now.

Archived