AD2 Voltmeter while using BNC Board

Manny

Question

Is the Voltmeter functional on the AD2 while the BNC Board is connected?

I can measure 2V from my PS without the BNC board, as expected, but if I connect the BNC board then the readings are always in the mV range, randomly.
Nothing changes if voltage moves in the 2-5 V range.

I can't find reference to losing any functionality if using the BNC board (other than the differential capabilities)

8 answers to this question

Hi @Manny,

Effectively you would use BNC probes to attach to the BNC connectors on the Adapter and essentially treat them like an extension cable. The small black cable on the probes (at least on probes sold by Digilent) will need to be connected to ground since the BNC Adapter board is not set up to be differential. There is a tutorial on using the BNC Adapter board that demonstrates the use of the adapter and probes on our Wiki here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/instrumentation/tutorials/bnc-adapter/start.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Manny,

The Voltmeter tool uses the oscilloscope pins (1+ and 2+) on the Analog Discovery 2, so the voltmeter tool is effectively only available through the associated BNC connectors on the BNC Adapter board; are you attempting to measure the voltage through those connectors or on the "normal" pins on the other side of the adapter? The pins on the other side are not actually connected for the Oscilloscope pins or the WaveForm generator channels.

Thanks,
JColvin

Just now, JColvin said:

Hi @Manny,

The Voltmeter tool uses the oscilloscope pins (1+ and 2+) on the Analog Discovery 2, so the voltmeter tool is effectively only available through the associated BNC connectors on the BNC Adapter board; are you attempting to measure the voltage through those connectors or on the "normal" pins on the other side of the adapter? The pins on the other side are not actually connected for the Oscilloscope pins or the WaveForm generator channels.

Thanks,
JColvin

I tried on the "normal" pins, after connecting the flywire after the BNC board, and I couldn't get reading.
(I inspected the BNC board underneath, and those pins looks connected all the way to the BNC connector on the board, so I assumed they were connected back to the AD2).

How do I use the BNC connectors for reading voltage or for WaveForm generator? (I wouldn't want to plug unplug the board all the time, as I might eventually damage the pins)

19 minutes ago, JColvin said:

Hi @Manny,

Effectively you would use BNC probes to attach to the BNC connectors on the Adapter and essentially treat them like an extension cable. The small black cable on the probes (at least on probes sold by Digilent) will need to be connected to ground since the BNC Adapter board is not set up to be differential. There is a tutorial on using the BNC Adapter board that demonstrates the use of the adapter and probes on our Wiki here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/instrumentation/tutorials/bnc-adapter/start.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

I will try right now, because I tried yesterday and didnt get any reading, even using the BNC probe and having the small black cable grounded.
(im using the Digilent's Probes,, they came with my AD2)

1 hour ago, Manny said:

I will try right now, because I tried yesterday and didnt get any reading, even using the BNC probe and having the small black cable grounded.
(im using the Digilent's Probes,, they came with my AD2)

It works!.

Using the BNC Probes. 
I think it didnt work yesterday because I was trying to get a reading using the probes but generated with the normal wires and  the WaveForm Generator .

All good now. Thanks a lot for the help.

9 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @Manny

The scope and awg lines are not available on the BNC adapter wire end (marked as NC) but only through the BNC connectors.
Also notice the AC/DC jumpers for the scope inputs.

You are completely right!! I missed the markings on the BNC board, and I just saw them.

I did notice the jumpers,, thanks.

MM

Archived