Protocol | line numbers, export, error more descriptive

kojak

Question

Hello @attila

I am using Spy at SPI bus and I have some thoughts about it. First one is if you can add line numbers as this can be helpful when large amount of data is transferred. Sometime I get error, can you make it more descriptive as this will help with debugging. I am unable to export data in File > Export as csv/txt, when I tried to export it then 0 B size file is saved. Maybe Save button near Clear button will ease export.

I have one question - why there is Frequency settings? Shouldn't data be sampled at highest frequency and only decoded data should be transferred into PC?

4 answers to this question

Hi @kojak

The Protocol tool Export is just for screenshots.
To save the data from SPI/Spy copy and paste the text from the text field.

What kind of error do you get? Please post a screenshot.
If you get "Samples lost" the device buffer got overflown. For AD, AD2 try using the 4th device configuration under WF/Settings/DeviceManager to have mode buffer allocated from digital-input.

For SPI/Spy the frequency setting is used to filter eventual signal glitches. Here you should specify the maximum expected SPI clock rate.
For the Protocol/SPI the device stores samples on SPI clock edge and decoding (bit order, simple/dual/quad, chip select condition) is performed in the application.

Hello @attila

Yes, I understand and I did copy/paste operation but simple button near clear can ease this.

As you can see below, error without description.

image.png.23a19da0c190069ec0af5aabe3b0cb84.png

And yes, I am using 4th device configuration.

image.png.4256d861bf14694dc9d8f8fbbc2f87ba.png

So setting to higher frequency is ok?

Hi @kojak

The error is reported when at the end of a chip select active cycle there are leftover bits, when the sampling clock edges are not equal to: Command_bits + N x Data_bits.
Added for the next software version to report the leftover bit number and value.

Setting higher value should be ok if there are no glitches on the signal, like ringing, slow slew, crosstalk... due to excessive wiring...

Hello @attila

Thank you, this will help with debugging also with line numbers.

One way can be setting the frequency to maximum 100 Msps and add filter for filtering out faster (means shorter time) glitches than chosen value.

Can you also add a shortcut for zoom to fit all data (I am used to use Home from KiCad)?

Archived