Programming Pmod SF3: 32 MB Serial NOR Flash from Windows PC

adi

Question

Is there a simple way to program the PMOD SF3 from a PC? It looks like the Serial Flash Utility might've been a suitable way of doing this:

https://store.digilentinc.com/serial-flash-utility-download-only-retired/

However, on looking at that page it's suggesting using Vivado. Can anyone suggest a way of doing this? What hardware is required? Would the JTAG-HS2 help here?

I want to be able to load some data on to the SF3 at a particular address from PC so I can then plug the SF3 in to my development platform and read the data (this last part i'm ok with, it's just the initial getting the data on to the PMOD SF3 device that's the issue).

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Hi @adi,

We support programming the Pmod SF3 by either using a microcontroller like the uc32 with the Arduino/MPIDE IDE or through Vivado/sdk and an fpga such as the zybo, Cmod-A7 or the Arty dev board. The Arduino code is available on the Pmod SF3's resource center here. The Pmod SF3 IP Core for vivado/sdk using microblaze/zynq processor is available here. The Getting Started with Digilent Pmod IPs tutorial will help with using the IP Core. The Pmod SF3 is not designed to work with JTAG and Adept 2 doesn't contain code for programming that flash memory. I have reached out to a design engineer to verify this but my understanding is that if you want to program it using the JTAG-HS2 you will have to write your own spi application using the Adept2 SDK. 

thank you,

Jon

Archived