PMOD IP

Brooklynoutlier

Question

Am I correct in concluding that Digilent Pmod IP's cannot be used with an Arty S7 board if I am not using MicroBlaze? I downloaded and installed the vivado-library-2016.4-1.zip file from github, but all but one of the IP's are flagged as incompatible with my hardware. I have been able to use a couple of the IP's delivered with Vivado in my VHDL projects, so I think I've figured that part out.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Brooklynoutlier,

To use the Pmod IP's with out microblaze you would need to make an axi bus interface which is a complex project. It would be easier to either use microblaze along with the ip cores or with an all vhdl/verilog project without using the ip cores. We do have vhdl/verilog projects using a few of our pmods. Which pmods are you trying to use?

cheers,

Jon

Thanks! I've already added the SSD LCD and the mono 128x32 OLED Pmods, and connected to a PC through the UART interface, using mostly my own source code. I'm planning on playing with the HYGRO and I2S Stereo Audio Output Pmods next. I'm not afraid of programming my own interfaces, but the thing that worries me is that there might be some incompletely documented hardware features/requirements that could hang me up. For instance, I had access to source code for the initialization routine for the OLED Pmod, and I think I could have struggled quite a bit without that. I guess I'll rely on what documentation and samples there are for the various interfaces, and come here for help if I get lost ... 8-)

Archived