How to use 3 pmod IA through pmod hat on raspberry pi

imp

Question

Hi everyone

Our senior design team is doing a project and we need to use 3 pmod ia on raspberry pi at the same time. Now I have questions following:

1. Does JA, JB, and JC all support pmod IA

2. I need the way to control three pmod IA, but I pmod IA is not in the design spark pmod supported list. Does that mean I can't use design spark to control pmod IA.

3. Since design spark might not work with pmod IA, I read the question of @mbvalentin, that's the only example of pmod working on raspberry pi I could find, but does the wiringPi still work if I use a hat between pmod IA and Raspberry Pi.

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Hi @imp,

We do not have experience using a Raspberry PI with the pmods. I would suggest to reach out to Raspberry PI or DesignSpark.Pmod for support for this. You might have to modify one of those demos and then maybe (if the Raspberry PI supports it), bit bang out more I2C.  It's actually maybe harder since I don't know if there is a way to adjust the slave address of the Pmod IA so you could communicate with them separately. The pmod IA all have the same address.

Jon

Hi @jpeyron

Is that possible to change the pmod IA address? Since there is only one pair of I2C pins on the raspberry pi, I'm thinking of connecting multiple pmod IA to the same pin.

Thank you

Hi @imp,

I'm not aware of any way to change the Pmod IA address since that functionality is not described in the corresponding Analog Devices datasheet. You would have to contact Analog Devices to see if it's possible to change the address dynamically or if the address is hard-coded when the chip is manufactured.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin

Ya I just knew this. So I found the MiniZed board has

Dual Pmod-compatible connectors (16 GPIO)
   - Arduino-compatible shield interface (22 GPIO)

I know the Arduino one should support I2C interface, but how about those 2 pmod compatible connectors, do they both support I2C interface?

Thanks

Hi @imp,

Digilent did not make the MiniZed, so I don't know this for certain, but as this is an Zynq based FPGA, you will be able to create separate I2C interfaces that you can address and control individually that are will not interfere with the other I2C devices, even if they have the same address.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived