Good evening,

My Openscope at the beginning  worked regularly both as a agent and in wifi. One day he stopped working,  but after a few attempts he has resumed regularly. Now I am again in the same condition, the device is not responding and when the connect on the USB port is not even seen the com. LED 4 flashes continuously and I also tried to send it to boot mode, the com is not seen the same. What can I do?

Best Regards and thanks!

Alfredo

Hi @Gandalfredo,

I'm not certain if you have attempted these steps already, but could you try connecting to the OpenScope using the terminal 'menu mode' and try to connect to a wifi network to see if some of these resetting steps help.

1. Make sure the Digilent Agent doesn't have the COM port open (Right click the Digilent Agent and release the device).
  2. Open the COM port using a terminal application like PuTTY.  The buad rate is 1250000.
  3. Press the reset button on the OpenScope MZ
  4. A menu should be printed to the screen.
  5. Use the menu to connect to a wifi network and post the output here.
  6. Use the menu to save the network and then list the saved networks.  Post the terminal output here.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 30/3/2018 at 8:18 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Gandalfredo,

I'm not certain if you have attempted these steps already, but could you try connecting to the OpenScope using the terminal 'menu mode' and try to connect to a wifi network to see if some of these resetting steps help.

1. Make sure the Digilent Agent doesn't have the COM port open (Right click the Digilent Agent and release the device).
  2. Open the COM port using a terminal application like PuTTY.  The buad rate is 1250000.
  3. Press the reset button on the OpenScope MZ
  4. A menu should be printed to the screen.
  5. Use the menu to connect to a wifi network and post the output here.
  6. Use the menu to save the network and then list the saved networks.  Post the terminal output here.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

Thanks for your soon reply!

When I connect the Oscope on USB I don't hear any sound, like if the connection doesn't works. Infact when I tried to start PuTTY I don't see any com port..

Please let me know if I can make other test.

Thanks a lot for your support

Alfredo

HI @Gandalfredo,

The next thing I would attempt would be to try to connect the OpenScope MZ to your computer with different USB cables and to different USB ports. I've had some simple MTE cables that I had been reliably using for over a year unexpectedly stop working, leading me on a wild goose chase to solve a software problem only to find the cable was broken.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

Good morning,

I made many attempts with other cable, other USB and other PC but unfortunely without success.

Can I do other tests? Can I return the board for repair?

Please considere I am an engineer and can flash the firmware, use oscilloscope and so on.

Best regards

Alfredo Fiori

Hi @Gandalfredo,

I have reached out to another engineer with more experience with the OpenScope MZ to see if they have any other recommendations of things that you can try or if they agree that the OpenScope MZ is damaged. The LED 4 is connected to EXTERR on the PIC32MZ, which indicates that there is an ethernet error, though I personally don't know what that specifically entails for the OpenScope MZ. The engineer I am reaching out to is out of the office till the end of the week though, so it may be a few days until I hear a response.

As a clarification, though I presume you did this as per your first post since you said you tried to send it into boot mode, you attempted to reset the OpenScope MZ as per these instructions?

Thank you,
JColvin

Hey Gandalfredo,

LD4 flashing means that the OpenScope MZ is booted and ready, but not connected to a Wifi network.

• When you connect the OpenScope MZ to the USB port do you see LD5 and LD6 flash?
  • What Operating System are you using?

Please follow the steps that James suggested in his previous post (How to Recover an OpenScope MZ with Corrupt Firmware) and let us know what you find, then we can provide more troubleshooting steps.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Archived