ARTY A7-35T To Raspberry PI Zero

DigitalConfig

Question

I am working on my biggest FPGA project as of so far.  Ive previously completed USB RXD/TXD serial com FTDI, VGAPMOD graphics, BRAM circuits, Mouse/KB circuits, and of course LOGIC/PROCESSING.  Now im embarking upon interfacing a Raspberry PI zero GPIO to ARTY PMOD connectors.  The GOAL is that the PI will become a slave unit to the FPGA where RPI0 USB 2.0 devices, RAM, HDMI Graphics/Sound, and processing will be entirely controlled by the FPGA ARTY Board. 

Im planning on  1) 8/16bit INPUT BUS to the RPI0 and 1) 8/16bit OUTPUT BUS from the RPI0 with data on/off bus interrupt signals.  FPGA send/receive processing seems pretty straight forward, where data control words interrupts and data signals work in tandem. 

My only seemingly weak point In the project is that im new to RPI programming using python, even with many years of education in programming,  Ive only glanced over Python structure and syntax.  Im just not 100% certain of how many of my native architectures in CS programming will carry over to python.  Important areas Arrays, Code Strings, GPIO connectivity, sound/graphics, KB/Mouse handling, File/Folder Handling, are all new to me on a Raspbian/Linux PYTHON system, even with years of experience with JAVA. BASIC, C/C++, ASM/ML mainly for MS windows.  

Input suggestion and advice is welcome on any level.

Regards,

DC

3 answers to this question

thanks so much for the info,  I am about to continue working on this project and before I do the first step physical connection I need to verify RPI gpio pin to arty pmod pin compatibility.  I did a lot of bread boarding in my early career life as a technician and in tech school back in the late 80s.  But this is my first off boarding project with an FPGA could you direct me please to resources on these matters?

Sincerely,

DC

Hi,

I once connected a Raspberry-Spartan 6 combo with SPI using one of the RPI's hardware SPI  units and (I think) wiringpi as driver.

This ran at up to 60 MHz, which is pretty solid performance (60 MBPS full-duplex) using only a four-wire interface. The question is, will more wires (you mentioned 8/16 bits) provide any advantage but I somehow doubt that.

Archived