Heat Created by Arty A7

Bryce

Question

Hello, 

Per the Arty A7 reference manual the recommended power supply is 36 Watts.  At this rate of power dissipation does the Arty A7 circuit card require active cooling? 

What is the maximum operating temperature of this circuit card assembly? 

Bryce Hieber 

3 answers to this question

Hi,

the effective thermal resistance of the CSG324 package appears to be around 15 K / W (disclaimer: read the document, chapter 5). Even 5 Watts (~12 V 0.5 A continuous) would require external cooling.

That said, typical entry-level FPGA applications aren't that power-hungry, with some notable exceptions e.g. crypto-mining. I'm running 3 000 000 000 multiplications per second in 18 bit on the same chip and yes, it does feel a little warm to the touch.

@Bryce,

What's important is to limit the FPGA substrate temperature to acceptable levels. Fortunately the Series7 devices all have the ability to measure this using the XADC module. I make it a habit to include monitoring substrate temperature measurement capability in all of my non-trivial Series7 FPGA designs. Vivado can help with the analysis of temperature rise for your design but the best place to do this is in the hardware.

Archived