digilent jtag not detected in Vivado hw_manager

jcz

Question

I have been using Digilent HS-2 with my development system for some months with no issues.

Recently, I needed to move the target board (a pci plug in board) to a new target system.

The new system would not accommodate the HS-2 due to physical constraints, so I got an HS-3.

The HS-3 in the new system did not work, so I moved the board back to my development system, and it did not work there either.  I went back to the HS-2 and now it does not work either.  In all cases the hw_server can be connected to, but says "No Target."  I'm running various versions of Ubuntu, and may have done an apt update in the mean time.  Thinking I may have blown out the board moving it around, I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair, but they found it to run properly in their factory, so the board seems ok.

Summary:

board is ok

Hardware Manager used to see the device using HS-2, no problems

neither HS-2 nor HS-3 works now, on either original system or new one

Vivado 2017.4 (tried 2017.3 also, same results)

I've found various suggestions related to loading cable drivers, tried many, with no change in results, but may have screwed up udev rules, etc in the process.

Any ideas please?

Addendum: lsusb shows "Bus 001 Device 005: ID 03fd:000d Xilinx, Inc. " for the HS-3 (fwiw)

OK, let's reboot this discussion, I do not have an HS-3, I have an XUP USB-JTAG Programming Cable because I need the flex cable connection for physical compatibility with my installation.  So back to square 1, I can see the FPGA in Vivado with the HS-2, but not with the XUP.

I can see the HS-2 with FTDI config, but not the XUP.

I have found a windows 10 box and am trying to use the reprogramming app, but I get the unable to load DLL "FTD2XX.dll" message.  I can find that dll in the file system, but how do I get it to load?

OK, I found the dll on the FTDI website and installed it.

I rebooted my Windows 10 box.

I connected the HS-3, got messages from windows saying new device detected, new device being installed, new unknown device ready to use.

Started the Digilent FTDI configure app, this time it started without crashing.

Clicked "Find Devices" ... nothing happened.

What now???

Hi @jcz,

Digilent just resells the XUP USB-JTAG, so we're not able to offer a lot of advice or have the ability to change/fix the firmware for it as we did not develop the product. Xilinx support may be able to help you in this regard though.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @jcz,

Yes, Xilinx is the creator/producer of the XUP USB-JTAG. As for the flex extender cable, I'm not certain what connection your board has, but if you are using the 6-pin version of JTAG (as opposed to the 2x7 pin on the adapter), you could use a 6-pin gender changer and a 6-pin MTE cable such as the ones that I linked (with 100 mil spacing). As for the 2x7 extension cable, you could likely use something like this one.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I entirely misunderstood what you meant by flex extender cable.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @jcz,

I'm not certain how the physical setup is on your FPGA, but the gender changer shouldn't switch signals from the cable. Is the cable oriented in the same way on both systems to make sure the signals line up? Otherwise you may need to do some individual wiring to make sure the signals all go to the correct location.

Thanks,
JColvin

jcz@t3:~$ sudo dpkg -i digilent.adept.runtime_2.17.1-amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package digilent.adept.runtime.
(Reading database ... 199295 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack digilent.adept.runtime_2.17.1-amd64.deb ...
Unpacking digilent.adept.runtime (2.17.1) ...
Setting up digilent.adept.runtime (2.17.1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...
jcz@t3:~$ djtgcfg enum
djtgcfg: command not found
jcz@t3:~$

jcz@t3:~$ sudo dpkg -i digilent.adept.utilities_2.2.1-amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package digilent.adept.utilities.
(Reading database ... 199416 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack digilent.adept.utilities_2.2.1-amd64.deb ...
Unpacking digilent.adept.utilities (2.2.1) ...
Setting up digilent.adept.utilities (2.2.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
jcz@t3:~$ djtgcfg enum
No devices found
jcz@t3:~$

this is with the HS-3

Archived