Deployment Error When Deploying Labview to Raspberry Pi through LINX

Murphy

Question

I am using Raspberry Pi 3 with raspbian jessie and installed labview 2014(32bit) in my windows 7 laptop.

Everything goes smoothly as I connect to my rpi using the linx target configuration. The problem is that everytime deploy a vi (I deployed blink), i get this:

Initializing...
Calculating dependencies...
Checking items for conflicts. This operation could take a while...
Preparing items for download. This operation could take a while...
Deploying NI_PtbyPt.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Local IO.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:myRIO.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Interaction Parts Kit.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Ultrasonic.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:TMP3x.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:TCN75A.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodTC1.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodGPS.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodMAXSONAR.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodBT2.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodGYRO.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodALS.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodACL2.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodACL.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodTMP3.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodMIC3.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodJSTK.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:PmodCMPS.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:LTC2631.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:AD9850.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:WS2812.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:BlinkM.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:SSD1306.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:HiTechnic.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:HiTechnic.lvlib:Accelerometer.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Servo.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:DS1307.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:MMA8452.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:MMA8451.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:ADXL345.lvlib
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:MPU60X0.lvlib
Deploying Raspberry Pi 2 B(successfully deployed target settings)
Deploying TagReturnType.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying whitespace.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:TCP Config.ctl (1.58 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Platform.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying Trim Whitespace.vi (3.18 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Channels.ctl (4.50 K)
Deploying Search and Replace Pattern.vi (8.40 K)
Deploying Find Tag.vi (11.43 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:LINX VI API Version.vi (2.93 K)
Deploying Format Message String.vi (6.47 K)
Deploying NI_PtbyPt.lvlib:Update Summation.vi (7.55 K)
Deploying GetRTHostConnectedProp.vi (3.83 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device Firmware.ctl (2.51 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Bit Pack.vi (5.18 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Error Type.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi (7.45 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Interface.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying NI_PtbyPt.lvlib:Mean PtByPt.vi (10.42 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Loop Frequency.vi (4.69 K)
Deploying Check Special Tags.vi (5.77 K)
Deploying DialogTypeEnum.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:User Platform.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Get Platform.vi (3.61 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Clean Error Call Chain.vi (13.03 K)
Deploying DialogType.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device Data.ctl (2.37 K)
Deploying Error Code Database.vi (4.39 K)
Deploying General Error Handler Core CORE.vi (47.32 K)
Deploying General Error Handler.vi (10.75 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Firmware Version.ctl (1.43 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Packet Number FGV Action.ctl (1.32 K)
Deploying Error Cluster From Error Code.vi (9.29 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:LINX Device Config.ctl (5.16 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Serial Set Baud.vi (6.57 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:LINX Ref.ctl (5.32 K)
Deploying LMH-LINX.lvlib:Local IO.lvlib:Load Device Channels.viLMH-LINX.lvlib:Local IO.lvlib:Load Device Channels.vi loaded with errors on the target and was closed.
Deployment completed with errors

How can I complete deployment without having any errors?

On 3/10/2018 at 6:42 PM, Murphy said:
On 3/10/2018 at 6:42 PM, Murphy said:

Hi Kristoff,

May I ask whats wrong with the blink VI?

Thanks.

Hi All ,

I am sorry for hi jacking this post, however I have the same issue with the Lvlib:IO file and I was searching on the makerhub but it seems there are no one answering questions ?

there are question more than 3 months old :(

I have managed to get it working now by a lot of search for help various places I found a post that mentioned to create a symlink as by installing the RPI stuff from labVIEW in the new versions because of some super user issues some file is not created and then this IO issue is caused 

The fix seems to be 

go into the 

cd /usr/lib
ls liblinx*

Then in the command window only 2 files are listed 

liblinxdevise_rpi2.so  and liblinxdevise_bbb.so

now by doing the following create a third file 

ln -s ./liblinxdevice_rpi2.so ./liblinxdevice.so

No I can download the LV files to the PRI and Run interactively no issue ,What all of this means is above me however it solved the issue partly for me as if I shutdown my RPI and then  boot again then my problem is back until I do the above again creating the symlink 

I guess my question is what would be the way to make this a permanent symlink for my as I only use the RPI 

I hope in  laymen s term I could explain my problem

Hi @QMESAR,

I don't personally know the answer to your question, but I have asked another engineer about this to see if they have any suggestions, though they are out of the office at the moment so it may be awhile before they respond. I did find a couple threads that talk about how to make this link permanent here and here that should hopefully answer your question.

Thank you,
JColvin

11 hours ago, JColvin said:
11 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @QMESAR,

I don't personally know the answer to your question, but I have asked another engineer about this to see if they have any suggestions, though they are out of the office at the moment so it may be awhile before they respond. I did find a couple threads that talk about how to make this link permanent here and here that should hopefully answer your question.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response and effort to help ,much appreciated,

unfortunately I am a Linux idiot and the post you showed helps me in no way ,It would be great if your developers can show the correct command to do this!

I expect that all users that use LV with Raspbian Stretch will have this issue might be useful if you support us with this command .

I will wait a few days no problem as at least I can type this in manually every time I want to work for now .Please note at first I installed the LV files from with in LabVIEW to the RPI ,then after sometime found the information at makerhub that if this IO error ciomes up try to do a manual install which I did therefore it is save for me to say that even with maually installing the LINX package (giving the sudo command) does not solve this issue any longer there is something new in the OS and we need to find this

Thanks a million 

QMESAR

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the information ,This has worked if I list the directory of the usr /libLinx then I can see this file is saved now and my labVIEW connects 

I appreciate all the help received here .

Have great weekend 

QMESAR

Hi Mr. Kristoff,

I am using the Raspberry Pi 3 that is available in my school's laboratory. I have attached a picture of the back panel of my rpi's box.

I am connecting both my devices, Raspberry Pi 3 and laptop, to the internet via lan wires present in our computer laboratory. 

IMG_20180310_080116.jpg

On 3/9/2018 at 1:54 PM, Kristoff said:

When the command prompt changes to 'root@raspberrypi' you are in the chroot so that is good, however before you run the  'ln -s' command you need to navigate to the /usr/lib directory.

Can you run the following

cd /srv/chroot/labview
sudo schroot --run-session -c lv
cd /usr/lib
ls -al liblinx*

and post the output.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

I tried doing this step but the my RPI returns the following:

ls: cannot access 'liblinx*': No such file or directory

Can someone help me, thank you.

Bumping this thread hopefully for some resolution...

I'm seeing this exact same behavior and cannot determine how to fix it.  I am using an RPi 3B+ with the current (2019-04-10) Raspbian version.  I am trying to simply run the Blink (Advanced) demo vi found in the LINX examples.  This behavior is also the same if I'm using a BeagleBone Black with the current Debian version.  I can add either board to a LabView project containing the modified (as per https://www.instructables.com/id/Getting-Started-With-the-Raspberry-Pi-2-LabVIEW/ ) vi.  I can connect to either board by right-clicking on it in the project and it shows as connected.  I then try to run the vi.  A window showing the deployment progress streams through the vi deployment that has been described throughout this thread.  It ends with "Deployment completed successfully".  When I close the deployment window (I have previously unchecked the "Close on successful completion" box), that window closes and is replaced with an error saying "Warning: Connection to the target (Raspberry Pi 3B+) has been lost".  The Pi (or BBB) is definitely disconnected when inspected in the project explorer window.  Reconnection attempts are met with errors "Failed to connect to the target".  I can only reconnect after rebooting the Pi (or BBB).

I have gotten to this point by working through all of the other errors described in this thread.  I see this behavior either when the boards are connected via a network switch to my computer or directly to the USB port on the BBB.  Also, when LabView cannot connect to the board(s), I can still communicate via direct connection or via SSH using a terminal program such as PuTTY.

If any information other than what has already been provided in this thread is needed, I will be happy to oblige.  Thanks for reading!

Hi @LazerBoi64,

I asked another one of our engineers about this and they informed me that the LabVIEW MakerHub LINX was not ever tested with the newer Raspberry PI and BBB OS's, so we do not know if anything has changed has changed under the hood which breaks this functionality. There are no plans to update or test the LINX deployment on these newer versions; I believe the last versions that were tested were late 2016 versions.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin Thanks for responding.  Disappointed in the answer, but it is what it is.  Can you or someone else point me in a direction to go regarding back-reving both the Pi and the BBB to known viable software?  From what I have read, it seems the Pi 3B+'s hardware breaks the old software and there were specific files that had to be moved from the old software to the new (or vice versa) to get around the hardware.  Hardware incompatibility should not be a problem with the BBB, because that design hasn't apparently changed for a few years?

This style of computing is pretty foreign to this old dog, so if anyone can be of help, please use small words and lots of steps! :)  The last time I dabbled in this style of operating system was back in the days I was running my Commodore Amiga (anyone remember that? ?) and its flavor of UNIX.

Thanks again!

Hi @LazerBoi64,

I'm not certain on the hardware/software (in)compatibility, but I do seem to recall that it should be okay with regards to LINX 3.0 working on both the Raspberry Pi 3 and 3+. The older versions of Raspian are available for download from this page here: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/. Based on the dates from other threads, I would recommend going for either the one late 2016 (Nov 29 or Sept 28), or perhaps the early 2017 one. With that, you should be able to install and use it through the Instructables tutorial you linked or through the tutorial here: https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=learn:tutorials:libraries:linx:3-0.

Let me know how this works and if you have any questions about this.

Thank you,
JColvin

@JColvin, thanks for the Raspbian link.  It's too bad a direct link to the archives isn't available on the main download page.  I did go back to the BBB download page, https://beagleboard.org/latest-images ,scrolled down a bit and found the whole history.  From my tests yesterday, 8.6 is the latest version that actually allows the LabView blink vi to work.  I didn't have to mess with anything else and the deployment worked just like in the tutorial videos.  My goal for today is to do the same with the Pi.

Definitely have to say that through all of my mistakes, I am learning something new.  I'm sure I'll be back!

The varying results and the other losses of connection make me suspect a networking issue. 

Are you using an official Raspberry Pi 3?

Can you describe your network.  How is the Raspberry Pi connected, how is your PC connected.  What type of routers / switches, etc are between the two.

Hi Mr. Kristoff,

After I force re-compiled the project and deploy again, the deployment became successful, but even before I have tried clicking a button on the VI, a warning pop-upped which warns that the connection to the rpi was lost (the same warning as the last photo in the document I posted).

When the command prompt changes to 'root@raspberrypi' you are in the chroot so that is good, however before you run the  'ln -s' command you need to navigate to the /usr/lib directory.

Can you run the following

cd /srv/chroot/labview
sudo schroot --run-session -c lv
cd /usr/lib
ls -al liblinx*

and post the output.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Archived