inquiry on ethernet

neha

Question

Hi 

Is it possible to use Ethernet server without DDR3 ?

I tried it with Flash memory (quad spi flash in vivado), Bd file picture is in attachment, I am able to generate bitsteram file but some issue in sdk  file regarding memory.

please go through bd file too if some change needed then tell me

what can we used as alternative of DDR3 for Ethernet server??

bd.png

sdk1.png

sdk2.png

5 answers to this question

There exist several  projects that use Ethernet without DDR3 SDRAM.  Based upon your description above, this particular server project might just not fit into block RAM alone.  Could you switch to flash?  Sort-of and not really.  Flash is really more of a ROM than a RAM.  It's really hard to modify flash memory on the fly.  The difficulty you are likely to have is that few (any?) of these other projects include the full TCP stack that this server example uses--although there is an example on OpenCores that does--I just haven't tried it to have any experience with it.  I know my own network implementation just handles ping and ARP packets at the moment, although I'm likely to increase that to regular UDP packets soon enough.

Dan

@D@n

hi greeting

can you please provide link for the projects that use ethernet without DDR3 SDRAM.

I used flash, and yeah I am facing problem in relaunching(in sdk) as I tick memory management option in  microblaze  . :( ...  what can i do for that?

and what are the alternative i can use in existing project

Thanks and regards

@neha,

I linked to the project I have for the Arty board.  While it does use DDR3 SDRAM, the SDRAM isn't an essential component of the network portion of the design.  What you choose to place into your network packets is up to you--such as whether or not  you wish to implement UDP/IP, TCP/IP, or some other protocol--perhaps even a protocol of your own choosing.

Since the design is not a Digilent design, but one of my own, you might consider it to be an "alternative [you] can you in existing project" or not--your call.

Dan

I start with microblaze  128kb/64 kb and 64kb/32kb local memory and cache configuration respectively. After compressing data and then generating bitstream in 128kb memory is coming 5.7kb and then launching sdk elf file is unable to generate and overflow of data as shown in picture elf_prb and  while is using  64 kb option  not enough memory option is showing.

Its look like dead end no idea where to go :(  i am using method https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/htsspisf/start as mention in this and without this too(i.e dierct creating echo_server file)

But one thing above site mentioned step in spi_server link i unable get any right click option as shown in that doc selet "hello world" and  right click to generate  linker file   so  i was clicking on finish and get that error.

please help me. :(  and  is there any may to implement echo_server with out ddr3

elf prb.png

Archived