CmodA7 Flash Programming

Dean@L3

Question

I am using Vivado 2017.4 and using the download.bit image (and .elf file with offset) with the "Program Flash Memory" function in SDK.  This follows your MicroBlaze tutorial and has been working well using the same CmodA7 module.  I've bought several of these and when I connected a different one there have been a few issues. 

Using Windows 7 64 bit, the first time a new module is plugged in, it has to install it as a new device.  This makes Device Mangler assign a new Com port number to it.  Sometimes Windows thinks it's some kind of electronic pen and I've had to delete the driver and let it install again.  This is being done automatically by Windows.  So, the first question is whether there is a better way to install these?  I guess there's no way around having Windows recognize each one of these as different devices? 

Next, if I have Vivado and SDK up and running and try to program the flash it fails and errors because it can't find the device to program.  I went into Vivado and used the Hardware Manager to  find new hardware.  It did this okay but then going back to SDK and trying to program the flash it fails to find the device.  So I closed SDK and reopened it and tried this again but this doesn't work either.  Closing SDK and Vivado and then reopening then both, SDK now recognizes and programs the new device successfully.  I've had to close both and then reopen them for each device. 

The above was done with devices that I had already managed to install once before.  A completely new device seems to require setting the flash device type again in the programming utility but SDK seems to remembers that the next time that device is plugged in.   

I have a few more CmodA7 modules on order for some further prototyping and am wondering if there is a more streamlined way to work with these?   

1 answer to this question

Hi @Dean@L3,

I have not heard of the ftdi driver files for the Cmod A7 showing as a electronic pen in windows. I will forward what you have seen to our design engineers. The process you describe is the current way we have to interact with different boards as well as different software suites. 

thank you,

Jon

Archived