Zedboard with Vivado on Windows 10 - "Program Device" grayed out

Arri

Question

Hi,

I am relatively new to FPGA programming and purchased recently the Zedboard. I am trying to implement a simple blinky Verilog design, written in Vivado, on the Zedboard. The Zedboard is connected via two ordinary USB cables to the Laptop - one from J17, one from J14.

I am able to log into the Linux part of the Zynq and do all demos, but have no success implementing the blinky design into the FPGA part due to the "Program Device" option in Vivado staying grayed out after generating successfully the bitstream and trying to connect to the device.

There seems to be an issue with the connection to the board (I am getting the message board not connected or not powered). The last step to "Program Device" is never available.

I tried about 10 installations with different Vivado  WebPack revisions  and on 3 different laptops (2 with Windows 10, one with Windows 7). I tried also updating cable drivers and modifying the jumpers JP7 to 11 to different configurations. "Program Device" stays grayed out.

I am out of ideas and am hoping someone can give me a hint what is going wrong.

Thanks

IMG_3448[1].jpg

vivado.png

6 answers to this question

Thanks, issue solved by Xilinx support: I had a FMC card connected to the Zedboard where the TDI-TDO was not connected correctly. Taking the FMC card off the board, Vivado is able to detect the Zedboard and I can program the Zedboard FPGA directly through Vivado.

Final fix is to short TDI-TDO on the FMC board as shown in below image.

Thank you for your support.

short_FIX.gif

Hi @Alex

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am confused: The tutorial recommends to use the Xilinx SDK to write to the FPGA. But SDK seems only needed when IP blocks used. In my case I have a simple Verilog  code to turn on and off some LEDs on the board ( I actually followed this tutorial video) . How do I program the device directly with Vivado WebPack (2017.4)?

I fixed the setting of the jumper (JP7 to 11) connecting now all from SIG to GND. I also noticed that I had a not working USB cable. I checked with two other USB cable, but getting now the below error message.

Vivado seems to detect a Xilinx Digilent board, but there is a '(0)' to the right of it and below Error message says 'no device detected on target'.

Is that address Vivado gives the Digilent board not right? How would I change that?

Thanks again for any suggestions you have.

vivadoerror.gif

Archived