Zybo Z7-20: FTDI DOA?

freakuency

Question

Just plugged in my Zybo I got today and my Ubuntu installation cannot find it. Ok, so I made sure I am in dialout but that didn't help.
Then I plugged it into my Windows computer but it cannot find it either. I have no more computers to try it on now except a Pi =/
Anything else I can do or is it broken?

/Fredrik

8 answers to this question

Right...

With the windows computer, you can open the device manager and check, whether the list of devices flickers (is rebuilt) when plugging in the unit.
If so, there may be some old driver that is getting in the way. I haven't had issues with FTDI devices for years, but there may be still some of the old drivers lurking on peoples' computers...

I don't know the SW ecosystem that comes with the board. Maybe you need to download the generic D2XX drivers (I'm just guessing but having those on a PC shouldn't cause any harm since they are so commonly found).

If the device manager list does not flicker / show anything, it seems unlikely that a driver update would help.

3 minutes ago, xc6lx45 said:

Right...

With the windows computer, you can open the device manager and check, whether the list of devices flickers (is rebuilt) when plugging in the unit.
If so, there may be some old driver that is getting in the way. I haven't had issues with FTDI devices for years, but there may be still some of the old drivers lurking on peoples' computers...

I don't know the SW ecosystem that comes with the board. Maybe you need to download the generic D2XX drivers (I'm just guessing but having those on a PC shouldn't cause any harm since they are so commonly found).

If the device manager list does not flicker / show anything, it seems unlikely that a driver update would help.

I have never had problems with FTDIs either. Thanks for the drivers anyway!

Archived