XVC problem in Vivado 2017.4 with Zybo Z7-20

rhb

Question

I get the following error message from Vivado 2017.4 when I try to connect to the board. When I try to reinstall the drivers it crashes the system.  Does anyone know what part of the download contains the specified dlls?  I'm running Win 7 Pro in a VirtualBox VM.  I posted a query on the Xilinx forum, but the answer so far has been the one I already tried which failed.

[Labtools 27-2221] Launch Output:

****** Xilinx hw_server v2017.4
**** Build date : Dec 15 2017-21:08:27
** Copyright 1986-2017 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

warning: cannot open library dpcomm.dll, first required symbol ftdimgr_lock, Digilent FTDI based JTAG cables cannot be supported
warning: cannot open library djtg.dll, first required symbol DjtgGetPortCount, select Digilent JTAG cables cannot be supported

7 answers to this question

Hi @rhb,

I think I found your Xilinx thread here. I don't know how VirtualBox sets up drivers with regards to whether or not the host OS or the virtual OS gets to take control of newly connected devices and where exactly drivers get installed (and Digilent does not provide support for ensuring cable drivers work in virtual environments), but if I understood your comments correctly, the place you can find the cable drivers (at least for me on my 64bit Windows) in regards to AR#59128 is in the C:/Xilinx/Vivado/2017.4/data/xicom/cable_drivers/nt64 folder.

Thanks,
JColvin

They are NOT anywhere in the Xilinx install tree OR anywhere else on the system.  Using Cygwin I did "find . -name '*dll' | egrep 'dpcomm}djtg'" in the root directory of the C drive.  In case you are not Unix literate, that reads the name of every file and directory and reports any that end in "dll".  There are about 3163 or so in the Xilinx tree alone.  The second part of the command filters out everything except names which contain "dpcomm" or "djtg".  There were none.

How about something simple like a package with the Digilent drivers that I can download.  I have a good bit of experience with ARM based dev boards from STM and TI, so I'm rather surprised that the JTAG/USB drivers are not available as a standalone package.

It may well be that one of the many .xz files downloaded contains it but did not get unpacked because the install_driver_wrapper.bat (or whatever the name is) crashed the system when I ran it.  I should like to note that following instructions in one Xilinx forum post I ran wdreg which reported successful completion.

I am currently installing on a Debian 9.3 system on the off chance that will work better.

Hi @rhb.

I believe that the installation script you want is

Xilinx/Vivado/20157.4/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers/install_drivers

All this script does is install two udev configuration files so that the USB device nodes will be readable by unprivileged users. Installing these in /etc/udev requires root privileges.

thank you,

Jon

And how will this provide the missing Windows DLLs?  I asked a question about getting DLLs for Windows 7 which are missing.  I get responses both here and the Xilinx forum that do NOT address the problem of the missing DLLs.   Xilinx gave me a path which could be any of 30 subdirectories.  Thanks to Cygwin, I found the proper directory, ran the wdreg program there, but it did not solve the problem because dpcomm.dll  and djtg.dll are missing.  Most likely because when the script crashed the machine the files did not get installed.

FWIW the install on Debian 9.3 completed without incident and claimed to be successful.  I've not tested it yet.

Quite frankly I am astounded by my experience in this and the Xilinx forum.  And beginning to get rather annoyed.

I'm trying to find some missing DLLs.  That should be a pretty trivial request to fulfill.  The fact that I still don't have a copy of the missing DLLs makes me wonder why I'm here.  No one seems to have any idea how anything actually works.

I don't care if Xilinx and Digilent don't support virtual machines.  I'll take care of that.  I don't seem to be having any problem making other USB devices work with Win 7 on the VM.  Just the Zybo.

Hi @rhb,

The unfortunate reality is that the Digilent engineers here on the forum are application engineers, not the firmware/software engineer who created the drivers, dlls, and anything else needed to make all of this actually work. That and you might be surprised how often the answers we provided you help the other users on our forum with similar questions (90%+).

Otherwise, the recommendation that you received of making sure Adept is installed, specifically the Adept Runtime, available on the Adept Resource Center here, is my understanding of what you need to get the DLLs working correctly.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has been.

Thank you,
JColvin

I had found the Adept packages before I read your post.  After I renamed the installer .exe files to remove the surplus "."s they did resolve the missing DLL problem.  However, I encountered other issues with Vivado on Windows which I suspect are the result of the install crashing. 

The Debian installation seems to have been successful.  I am able to connect to the board.  However, Vivado informs me that the debug core was not included in the OoB demo, so I have not gone further.  I am going to use Debian as my development platform for Vivado. I am now constructing a suitable enclosure and when that work is completed will resume learning the development tools and board.  I am working on developing open source firmware to run on Zynq based DSOs. That is a large enough undertaking that working with a bare board is not sensible.

I very much appreciate that Digilent put standoffs on the Zybo.  I wish more boards came that way.   It would be a great help if a bare barrel connector that fits were also included with the board so as to spare the user from having to track down the matching part from the many possible choices.  In the interim, adding major vendor part numbers for the matching connector to the Zybo reference manual pages would be a huge help. 

Please mark this thread as resolved.

Archived