How to move to older version of Vivaldo

ArisBock

Question

I just got my Arty7 board with the 1 year subscription to Xilinix Vivaldo.  I set about downloading, installing, and licensing the latest version only to come to realize that I can't make any of the demo softwares work because the Vivaldo is the wrong version.   I want to move back to the 2016 version, but what do I do about my license?   Do I uninstall the current version and then download and install the older version and the license I have will work?   Or do I have to do something at Xilinx website to tell it to abandon the first license and give me a new one?

8 answers to this question

Thank you for the reply, certainly that could be an option, but assuming I don't wish to waste 24GB of hard drive space to a useless program - then the question remains.  How do I transition to the older version and get the license to work?  I don't wish to just try uninstalling and then installing the old one in case that screws up the license for good.

My understanding is that the license file is simply read by the software, and there is nothing else going on behind the scenes. If you'd uninstall and reinstall the same version, you'd be back where you started.

This, however, is just an end user's view. If it means anything, my own .lic file is from 2014, and has served me through several Vivado (and most likely ISE) versions.

Just a random thought: If you need to worry about 24 gigs of HD space, you may be facing an uphill battle in FPGA territory... People do custom builds with water cooling, overclocked quad-channel RAM, high-end SSD drives, and still it's too slow (and HD performance goes south unless there is plenty of empty space).

On 2/14/2018 at 8:46 PM, theUltimateSource said:

before you uninstall anything... you can upgrade the demo projects to run with your software version!

which Arty do you have? Z7 or S7?

I am not sure, the box says Arty.  It is based on the Artix 7-35T.  I purchased it at the recommendation of our customer at JPL that suggested it would make a good basis for our test board.   I have put in a bigger hard drive on my computer (it was time anyway) and so I have both Vivaldo 2016.4 and 2017.4 installed.   My issue seems to be that the demo videos and instructions all seem to rely on there being a TCL command console at the bottom of the opening page of Vivaldo.  My installation does not seem to have that and I can find no way to turn it on.

15 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @ArisBock,

You enter the commands on the bottom of the initial page where is says enter tcl command here when you launch Vivado. I have attached a screen shot.

Okay.  I was launching the wrong thing.  I clicked on the Vivaldo HLS icon and not the Vivaldo icon.  If I use the later I get the TCL console

Archived