Arty Z7-020 regulator failure?

lrodgers

Question

Just had an Arty Z7-020 come in today. I was running it off the power brick from Digilent for about 10 minutes, when I came back and found that the board no longer had power. The brick measured at 12.12 volts, and re-jumpering it to USB power allowed it to come back to life. I checked the schematic, and found that the +5 output from the regulator goes to the right-most pin on the USB/regulator select jumper, so I measured it. 0V.

I also noticed a large amount of heat from that area, not sure if it's normal or just the result of a failed regulator.

8 answers to this question

OK, I see three SMD caps nearby.

One is extremely small (couldn't easily reach it with my probes without shorting it, so I didn't try) and placed horizontally right above IC24. 

The next one is below IC24 and is horizontally oriented. I see 12.12V here, same as the power source.

The final one is to the right of that cap, and is vertically oriented. 0 volts.

Hi @lrodgers,

Looking closer at the power brick it can not provide the current needed to power the Arty-Z7-20 as described in the reference manual in section 1 Power Supplies here. The usb 2 provides 500 mA's which is enough current to run some designs on the Arty-Z7-20. If you look at the sales page for the power brick the 12v can supply +-100mA as described here.  Please try running the Arty-Z7-20 externally with a wall wart that provides more current some thing like 1-3 A's.

thank you,

Jon

This is the wall wart I ordered with it and was using: https://store.digilentinc.com/12v-3a-power-supply/

It's 12V 3A, so I'd think it'd be fine?

I looked at the schematic and discovered that I could remove the USB/REG jumper and power the board through the Arduino shield header's +5V line, from a bench PSU. This works and lets me run designs that need more power than USB provides

Is there any way I can order another Arty Z7-20 and return this one with the regulator fault for a refund after I receive the other one? I'd like one where I can actually use the 12V 3A wall wart, but I'd rather not be without it while I work on this project.

Archived