Memory tutorial

dgottesm

Question

Hi

I am beginning my foray into FPGA design, and I decided that the best to to learn would be to learn on the go, and learn as I go.

I am using a Zybo Z7 7020, Windows 10, and Vivado 16.4

I have a project for school which will be using PMODs as IOs and the information will have to be saved to memory of the board

I am wondering if there is a good tutorial which will help me learn how to access, read and write to the DDR3

5 answers to this question

@dgottesm,

This link has pictures.  :D

If your memory needs are simple, they can often be handled with block RAM.  You can declare block RAM within your design, and you will find it *exceptionally* easy to use and access.  The link above should discuss how to do a traditional FIFO in block RAM alone.  If, on the other hand, you need more block RAM memory than your chip has ... that's when you need to turn to the DDR3 solution.  I wouldn't touch it, though, if I only had a simple requirement.

Dan

4 hours ago, D@n said:

... they can often be handled with block RAM. 

+1 for that. If possible, it'll save you a week, perform better and you maintain a board-independent design.

I'm sure there are lots of FIFO examples out there... Attached one I use. Expect e.g. around 150 MHz on speed grade 1 Artix, possibly faster.

Note, the memory is here ("inferred"):

reg [DATABITS-1:0] 	      mem[((1 << ADDRBITS)-1):0];

So there is no need to instantiate BRAM, it happens automatically.

FIFO.v

Archived