Installing on Vivado on External Hard drIve

Newport_j

Question

I initially began by installing Vivado on Windows. I really wanted it on Linux, Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu Linux much better. So I installed Ubuntu on Oracle Virtual Box. It worked sort of. I am guessing that Vivado software (whether Windows or Linux) is like many huge software programs on the PC that I have run in the past that need the whole system to operate. If you provide anything less then they simply will fail to work. I am sure I and my colleagues here are not the only one to have found such programs.

So I have decided to install it on a bootable external hard drive. It will bypass my Windows 10 completely. My only concern is that I heard that there are some programs which when installed on anything but the c drive simply will not function. Is Vivado one of these? I also would install the Digilent board file sub directory. I have a Digilent Zybo-Z7-20 and I want to use it.

I know that there way ways to fool an Linux operating system into believing what is not a c drive is actually a c drive. That seems a lot of trouble. I do not want to go there.  

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

3 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, Newport_j said:

I really wanted it on Linux, Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu Linux much better. ....

So I have decided to install it on a bootable external hard drive. It will bypass my Windows 10 completely. My only concern is that I heard that there are some programs which when installed on anything but the c drive simply will not function. Is Vivado one of these? I also would install the Digilent board file sub directory. I have a Digilent Zybo-Z7-20 and I want to use it.

I know that there way ways to fool an Linux operating system into believing what is not a c drive is actually a c drive.

uh, my head is spinning. You'r mixing windows / linux a couple of times. I understood that you

• have win10 OS installed on your native HDD/SSD, etc
  • want to install Vivado on Linux
  • want to install Vivado on an external hard drive

In this case, why not install a linux distribution on your external hard drive as 2ndary boot OS instead of windows? I successfully run Vivado that way (ubuntu). Also, I have several Vivado versions installed on my external drive 2014.x - 2017.y with the Windows installer. Works like charm. The icons are placed in your start menu but you can't launch it before your drive is connected. 

so install it on any drive letters you want in windows, or install it on a supported linux distro. 

P.S: I have this configuration for quite a while now and never had any issues but never checked what would happen if your drive is mounted on a different partition (say, D:\ today, F:\ tomorrow). I'd expect it not to work but can't tell because never checked, never happend (yet). 

P.P.S: Your virtual machine could also boot from a virtual C:\ drive located on your external hard drive. Also something I've done in the past. Anyway, have it your way :)

Archived