analog discovery2 not detected after win 10 update

mikeyee

Question

I've followed the directions for updating the driver in this forum, no luck. I get a device cannot start when updating the drivers.

No LEDs light in the Analog Discover 2. I get a "USB Device not Recognized". My AD2 has worked for a long time on 3 computers, now it's quite dead. It was working just before I shut down my computer while Win 10 updates were lurking. It could be the AD2 was starting to fail. It was constantly getting disconnected.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Yee

13 answers to this question

Hi,

I don't own the same device. That said...

>> It could be the AD2 was starting to fail
...I'd get another USB cable before anything else... they fail often.

You could have a look into the device manager (press Windows key and X, click on the "Device manager" menu entry).

First, when you plug and re-plug the cable, the list should be refreshed and flicker (99 % certain this is the case, otherwise the cable is totally broken)

Now comes some detective work, try to locate the device. If in doubt, pull the cable and it should disappear.

Maybe (!) you have to manually uninstall the old driver (right-click, uninstall device) when it competes with the new one. And sometimes the "properties" dialog has meaningful info what went wrong

PS if you have the option of rolling back to Windows 7, you might reconsider... MS systematically cuts away functionality a developer needs, e.g. every failed assertion in my code "looks for a solution" and sends a bug report to MS and there seems to be nothing we can do about this.

im having the same issue. It is detected by windows and shows up in the device manager. I've uninstalled the drivers and that didnt work. Tried on multiple computers with multiple different cables and all of the settings in the waveforms device manager and it still doesn't work. Usually the green LED on the device will bilnk once when attempting to connect in waveforms and then it briefly disconnects which causes the process to terminate and stop connecting. 

@attila

When I open the device manager in Waveforms I see this, everything looks fine. I then try to select it as usual.

WaveForms_2018-02-19_07-37-25.png.0927a61112ac23dbd4ace2c9cb4e822b.png

The green light on the AD2 board blinks quickly once and then this message pops up. When operating on my desktop this error sometimes does not show up however on my laptop does every time. 

Inline image 1

After this message is closed I get this error. This is what I see every time.

WaveForms_2018-02-19_07-36-59.png.84cc49bedcb879ba95dacc9cb0102fe0.png

If I look at the device manager while connecting I can see the device briefly disconnect and then reappear in the list. In the windows event viewer there are not unsustained warnings or errors. The only warning is a kernel-pop from unejected disconnects, something that would be normal to see. I've seen in other posts you have PMd other users the reprogramming application, would it be possible for you to send it to me? I had support send me the reprogramming application and while it succeed it did not fix the issue. I am going to check today to see if the device works on a unix machine and then hopefully I can determine if it is indeed a windows 10 issue or not. If you have any other ideas please let me know. 

edit: I tried running the device on a mac and it still showed the same errors. I also used my friends AD2 on my computer and it worked fine, so it appears that the OS is not the issue. I guess i'll be needing to get my hardware replaced unless there is some other magical software fix I can do. 

image.png

Hi @function86

Sorry for the late reply, your post was overlooked.

I suppose the device is consuming to much power, some IC on the analog side could be damaged, and it gets disconnected. 
You could eventually try using 5V DC supply to power the device.

For warranty and replacement please contact support at digilentinc dot com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

7 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @function86

Sorry for the late reply, your post was overlooked.

I suppose the device is consuming to much power, some IC on the analog side could be damaged, and it gets disconnected. 
You could eventually try using 5V DC supply to power the device.

For warranty and replacement please contact support at digilentinc dot com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

Yeah i've figured it must be hardware after having flashed the firmware and not fixed it. I contacted support with NI (where I purchased) so i'll have to get it replaced unfortunately. I could try with a 5v to see if that works but either way i'll need a new board likely. Would it be likely user error that somehow caused the issue or more likely a hardware defect? I've not done anything on my board that would even get close to the operating limits so hopefully it was just a fluke. 

Hi @function86

There should be no way to damage the device until it is in the following limits.
Could you tell me what experiment was the last one performed? Did you interface it with other devices or circuits?

Recommended operating conditions

Absolute maximum ratings

Oscilloscope (1+,1-,2+,2-)

±50 V differential, ±25 V single ended

±50 V

WaveGen (W1,W2)

±5 V, 10 mA

±5.8 V, 50 mA

Power Supplies (V+,V-)

0.5 ... 5 V, -0.5 ... -5 V

+6 V, -6 V

USB powered

700 mA / channel, 500 mW total

Auxiliary powered

700 mA or 2.1 W / channel

Triggers, Digital IO (T1,T2,0,1,2,...)

LVCMOS 3.3 V, 4 mA

± 20 V

@attila The last experiment I did was a bridge rectifier. Input was 500mV and varying frequencies so that was well within operating limits. I also did some first and second order filters and first order opamp stuff but that was about a week earlier and didn't impact the device. It also didn't show any issues while it was operating, The issue only arose when I went to plug it in for another experiment so I doubt it was releted to the last experiment preformed. I think most likely when it got power from usb when I plugged it in is when it broke. 

@function86

If you have not connected the device wires to externally supplied circuit, with voltages above 50V for scope, 20V for digital IO..., there should be no reason which could have caused damage.
When working with externally supplied circuits the ground should be the first connected and last removed connection.

On 2/10/2018 at 10:22 PM, mikeyee said:

I've followed the directions for updating the driver in this forum, no luck. I get a device cannot start when updating the drivers.

No LEDs light in the Analog Discover 2. I get a "USB Device not Recognized". My AD2 has worked for a long time on 3 computers, now it's quite dead. It was working just before I shut down my computer while Win 10 updates were lurking. It could be the AD2 was starting to fail. It was constantly getting disconnected.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Yee

My Analog Discovery 2 is dead. I bought a new one, works fine. I think that mine was going dead slowly, the Win 10 update was just the final straw. Mine kept "disconnecting", at first it happened probably 6 months ago, it would disconnect often using 1 laptop (my newest one), so I used the AD2 on an old lab computer, then it started "disconnecting" on that one rarely at first, then quite often. It died on a recent Win 10 update, now it never "connects".

I never exceeded max conditions, I mostly used the logic analyzer on 3.3V circuits.

Do these things get repaired? Does Digilent do repairs?

Thanks,

Mike Yee

Hi @mikeyee

We are not doing repairs but we investigate the returned defective devices.
For AD2 so far I've seen only defects that indicated usage mistake, like blown up ferrites probably due to connecting device ground to external power supply, damaged internal 3.3V regulator probably several digital IOs were connected to external supply above 20V...

Archived