Newport_j

Installing Digilent Board Files

Question

I am trying to install Vivado 17.4 for windows on my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit pc. The board files that I want are labeled 15.4. Is that what it should be?

I have Vivado 17.4 installed on my pc.

I have never installed Vivado and Diligent board files before. 

My downloaded zip files creates a directory just off the Desktop when i unzip the downloaded zip files. I am unsure as to what to do next.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

respectfully,

Newport_j

10 answers to this question

Hi @Newport_j,

I have moved your question to a more appropriate section of the Forum. As long as the board files are from this repository on our GitHub, they are the correct ones. Once you have the file downloaded, extract the files and copy them to the C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.4\data\boards\board_files folder. You'll then want to restart Vivado (if you have it open) to make sure it sees it. Some more details on this are in the installation tutorial here.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Okay, but I have an new Digilentinc Zybo-z7-20 board. Which folder do I copy? The are folders for

zybo,

zybo-z7-10

and

zybo-z7-20.

So which ones do i copy? Also, do I just paste them right over the directory board_files? It seems like that would wipe-out whatever

files are there now.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

You can just copy the contents of the extracted folder to the inside of the of the board_files folder in that directory. The ones already present in that pre-existing folder are the default ones loaded by Xilinx when you installed Vivado. If you are just planning on using the Zybo-Z7-20, you can just copy that folder into the board_files folder.

Adding the other folders won't hurt/change anything, but will take up some additional space on your hard drive (a bit less than 5 MB).

Thanks,
JColvin

So I just copy the Zybo-Z7-20  folder from its directory where I extracted the ZIP  files. I am saying just to copy the whole not just any file.

Then go to the board_files directory inside of  the Vivado install and paste it (the directory) in?

Nothing more?

Does it merge the copied files with the files that are already there or does it just wipe out those files already there in the board files directory?

Respectfully,

Newport_j

So I just copy from new Folder in the directory, where I extracted the zip file, into the board _files directory in the Vivado install and If other stuff (for other boards) comes along that would be no problem?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

PS. I am sorry for so many questions. I am just unsure how to do this?

That's correct, there isn't anything else to do.

As a clarification, if you copy the file "board_files" into the Xilinx file folder (boards) containing the "board_files", then yes, Windows will delete the old folder and replace it with the new one, so you can just copy the contents of the board_files folder from one to other other board_files folder.

I've attached a screenshot of what my board_files folder looks like after I've copied and pasted in the folders (including the zybo-z7-20 folder).

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

board files screenshot.png

I am showing the file arrangement as I have it on my computer. They are in the two attachments in this post. I have added the boards_file fdirectory from the board file install to a new directory named board_files in the Vivado install.

It is just off the installed board _files directory on Vivado. The are two separate board_files directories. The board_file for my Diglent Zybo Z7-20 install are in their own separate directory. I have some directories that you do not have and you have some that I do not have. For example I do not have Pico_505, but you do. I have sword directory and you do not. I have a total of 23 directories and you have a total of 24 directories.

It seems the board files directories are similar, but are not exactly the same. Is this to be expected? Is this normal?

The attachments are below.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Respectfully,Capture17.thumb.PNG.f84f382c820fd695df2994182097e5d1.PNGcapture16.thumb.PNG.2c904e07317b57b0904c05fe6f333616.PNG

Newport_j

Hi @Newport_j,

What you will want to do is copy the contents shown in the top image (the one with arty, arty-s7-25, arty-s7-50, etc) into the second folder shown on the bottom image (ac701, kcu116, etc).

Since you are only wanting to use the zybo-z7-20, it won't make a difference if there different boards when comparing between your and my board_files folder, so I'll go with the "yes, this is normal" answer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
JColvin