HS2 Programming Cable. Multiple Instances

Patrick Fitzpatrick

Question

I have a system where I'm using 2 HS2 cables. One is used for SPI control and the other for Jtag.

For my SPI interface, I have written a DLL using the ADEPT2 SDK, that allows me to specify the serial number of teh device to connect for SPI.

Unfortunately both devices enumerate as device name "jtagHs2" and If I start my Xilinx Viivado Hardware manager before my SPI interface, the Vivado is taking over the device I want to use for SPI.

If I start my spi interface first then vivado correctly picks up the HS2 I want to use for JTAG.

Is there a way to prevent this, for example can I change the name "jtagHS2" in my SPI interface eeprom? 

Thanks,

Patrick

5 answers to this question

Hi @Patrick Fitzpatrick,

I reached out to one of our design engineers about this post and they replied that you do not need to alter the EEPROM to change the user name. You can just download Adept Utilities and use dadutil to change the username with the “setusr” command. They don’t know of any way to prevent the hardware manager from opening an Adept device without also causing Adept to ignore it. Changing the username isn’t going to solve this problem. All that will do is make it easier for you to pick which device gets opened by your custom application. However, if Xilinx’s hardware manager has opened and locked the device then Adept will throw an error when you attempt to enable the SPI port.

For the time being you are stuck using your existing work around.

thank you,

Jon

Archived