HDMI Customization

cassini

Question

Hey all,

I tried out the HDMI demo projects with Vivado for my ARTY Z7 board and now want to extend them to create a passthrough design or run some basic image processing. I had a look into the design files but found it hard to comprehend the rgb2dvi function for example (how multiplexing between data and control / blanking period is done), since there is only a synthesized netlist available.

How to go on with analyzing this interface?

Is there an interface timing diagram/waveform available, which I did miss or do I have to use a debug core?

Im not new to FPGA but SoC design and curently do not know how to generate stimuli for the whole design with the PS to run a simulation.

Maybe you notice I have several questions and actually do not know which is the best way to continue. It would be great to have some kind of hands-on advices how you would go on with such a design, so I can explore it further by myself.

Thank you very much!

2 answers to this question

I had a look into the design files but found it hard to comprehend the rgb2dvi function for example... since there is only a synthesized netlist available.

DVI/HDMI is not easy. Which is the reason why we provide both an input and an output ip over at https://github.com/Digilent/vivado-library . You may re-use them without the need to understand the exact implementation. Or you can look at the source files, since we do provide the VHDL. A user guide is also available at the same location.

To understand the protocol itself, read the specs. For example: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~stc/FAQs/Video/dvi_spec-V1_0.pdf

I do admit that our DVI IPs are missing testbenches, so I cannot help with simulations. However, dvi2rgb has an ILA debug module option that can help you to look at signals.

Archived