Vivado version for Arty Z7-20

Mahesh

Question

Hello All,

Today i received my Arty Z7-20 and i wanted to install the vivado software. I have confusion here on software toll version. Example projects are build on 2016.4 and planned to install 2017.4 V (latest version). Do you see any problem?

5 answers to this question

Hi @Mahesh,

I was able to get the arty-Z7-20 hdmi out to generate a bitstream in vivado 2017.4. To do this you new a fresh project. Then upgrade the ip cores by clicking tools->repots->report ip status and upgrade/generate the ip cores. Then create a wrapper. The DVI2RGB ip core has been updated since this project was made.  Because of the updated ip core you will need to change the xdc pin names in the xdc file. From hdmi_hpd_tri_i to HDMI_HPD_tri_i , from hdmi_ddc_scl_io   HDMI_DDC_scl_io  and from hdmi_ddc_sda_io  to.  HDMI_DDC_sda_io. Next generate bitstream. The rest should be the same steps to get project working.

cheers,

Jon

11 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Mahesh,

I was able to get the arty-Z7-20 hdmi out to generate a bitstream in vivado 2017.4. To do this you new a fresh project. Then upgrade the ip cores by clicking tools->repots->report ip status and upgrade/generate the ip cores. Then create a wrapper. The DVI2RGB ip core has been updated since this project was made.  Because of the updated ip core you will need to change the xdc pin names in the xdc file. From hdmi_hpd_tri_i to HDMI_HPD_tri_i , from hdmi_ddc_scl_io   HDMI_DDC_scl_io  and from hdmi_ddc_sda_io  to.  HDMI_DDC_sda_io. Next generate bitstream. The rest should be the same steps to get project working.

cheers,

Jon

If that is the case shall i install Vivado 2017.4? 

13 hours ago, cassini said:

From my experience I can tell you, that most example designs will not work with Vivado 2017.4 if they are developed for 2016.4.

There are reviews like this. hence i am under confusion on software revision. 

Hi @Mahesh,

I suppose the answer is both will work, but if you want to just run the project with minimal additional work on your part, I would use 2016.4.

If you are wanting to use an alternate version of the "host" software (Vivado), some additional changes might be needed to make the project work for that different version; in general the sources will not need any changes (though that isn't always the case as you see in this thread), but the final compiled/premade will likely need re-built for that version of the software. On a side note, this situation is also true for other software platforms like LabVIEW or Arduino; sometimes the already existing code works, sometimes it needs updated.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived