Adept 2 problem with Nexys 3 under Window 10 and Virtualbox

Marcelo

Question

Hi folks,

My current setup is Opensuse Tumbleweed, I am running Windows 10 under Virtualbox.

Xilinx ISE / Impact runs fine under Linux, the Adept plugin recognizes Nexys 3 and the Adept utilities run fine:

$ djtgcfg enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: Nexys3
    Product Name:   Nexys3
    User Name:      Nexys3
    Serial Number:  210182477273

$ djtgcfg -d Nexys3 init
Initializing scan chain...
Found Device ID: 34002093

Found 1 device(s):
    Device 0: XC6SLX16

Under Windows 10 inside virtualbox, after selecting the USB device to be owned by the Windows virtual machine, I get the following:

C:\Users\Mr>djtgcfg enum
Found 1 device(s)

Product Name:   Nexys3
    User Name:      Nexys3
    Serial Number:  210182477273

C:\Users\Mr>djtgcfg -d Nexys3 init
ERROR: unable to open device "Nexys3"

The USB device is recognized in the windows device manager as "Digilent USB Device".

My intention was to use the Adept 2 GUI, which is way more convenient than the command line tools on Linux, but it is suffering from the same problem above. It does recognize I have a Nexys3 board connected, the Nexys 3 TM logo does appear, but when you tell it to initialize the chain, it says: "Initialization Failed. Check connections and try again." Inside the Adept status window I get:

===== Digilent Adept =====
 Adept System Rev 2.7
 Adept Runtime Rev 2.16
 Adept Applicatin Rev 2.4.2
Copytight (c) 2010
Loading board information...
Initializing Scan Chain...
Board information loaded.
Initialization Failed.

Is there a way to debug this problem? Adding --vebose to djtgcfg makes no difference on the output.

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo.

4 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron,

Thank you for your answer, but notice that I am not asking for support for Virtualbox drivers.

I am asking for a way to debug the situation in Windows 10, which I assume that Adept 2 should run without problems. The screens I have pasted show that the Windows USB driver is recognizing the Nexys3 board and the windows device manager clearly says "Digilent USB Device".

For example, it would be convenient if the --verbose parameter in djtgcfg could give a hint of why he is unable to open the device, even though he is able to enumerate it.

Regards,

Marcelo.

Hi @Marcelo,

You can add the following environment variables:
“ADEPT_RT_LOGDETAIL” with value “1”
“ADEPT_RT_LOGFILE” with value set to something like “C:\adept_log.txt”. I am not sure how detailed of an error this will provide from JTSC (the thing that knows how to program FPGAs) but it may give us some hint as to what is going on. There have been some issues in the past with Virtual Machines that was the result of VMWare not passing some USB transactions from the host to the guest. If that ends up being the case then there probably isn’t anything that we can do to fix it, other than documenting it and filing a bug report with the company that produced the VM software.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

Sorry for the long delay.

I did what you said and got the following results, I don't know if it is useful, maybe just leave this here for reference:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent\AdeptUtilities>djtgcfg.exe enum
Found 1 device(s)

Product Name:   Nexys3
    User Name:      Nexys3
    Serial Number:  210182477273

C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent\AdeptUtilities>djtgcfg.exe -d Nexys3 init
ERROR: unable to open device "Nexys3"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent\AdeptUtilities>type c:\adept_log.txt
System Time     Process     Thread        ERC     ERC String                  Message
4096781         4924        3712          3080    ercInternalError            FTDIC::FEnumAndUpdateCache call to ListDevices failed
4096796         4924        3712          3080    ercInternalError            FTDIC::FEnum FEnumAndUpdateCache() failed
4115937         5828        1324          3080    ercInternalError            FTDIC::FEnumAndUpdateCache call to ListDevices failed
4115937         5828        1324          3080    ercInternalError            FTDIC::FEnum FEnumAndUpdateCache() failed
4130328         7820        5156          3072    ercConnectionFailed         DVTP1::FTransReset FTransWait endpCmd failed
4130328         7820        5156          3080    ercInternalError            USBC::HifOpenEx DVT::FConnect failed
4130328         7820        5156          3080    ercInternalError            DVT::Disconnect pdvtopn->PnmtxFromIdvto
4130343         7820        5156          3080    ercInternalError            FTDIC::FEnumAndUpdateCache call to ListDevices failed
4130343         7820        5156          3080    ercInternalError            FTDIC::HifOpenEx FEnumAndUpdateCache() failed
4130343         7820        5156          3072    ercConnectionFailed         DpcOpen - device not found

Best regards,

Marcelo.

Archived