Waveforms 3.7.5 and oversampling

Piotr Rzeszut

Question

Hi,

I have updated WF application and I see that oversampling is performing worse than in previous version.

3.7.5:

image.thumb.png.f63418e93856abcaeeb8ccc98761dfdf.png

3.6.8:

image.thumb.png.4a13e959cfc1c90edaf0581807d7c695.png

Also for higher oversampling values there are visible some levels in the waveform:

3.6.8:

image.thumb.png.82ed5d98247db7549e18b0888e3655d4.png

Is this physical effect (ex. sample & hold), or a bug?

Best wishes for everyone. PR

6 answers to this question

Hi @Piotr Rzeszut

The oversampling requires external signal source since the ones produced by the device, Wavegen or Patterns, are synchronous with the Scope sampling.

WF version 3.6.x added 180*deg phase shift for Scope for Analog Discovery (1&2) which was suitable for oversampling 2x signals generated with AWG of the same device. This caused problems with some devices so it was removed for 3.7.x

Here you have the changelog and a blog about the new features:
https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/waveforms/waveforms-3/change-logs/3-7-5
https://blog.digilentinc.com/software-update-waveforms-3-7-5/

Hi @attila,

I have tested it with signal source not synced with AD2's clock, and it works perfectly!

Also (for attention of other people) similar thing we can observe using noise genrated by AD2 - the noise is randomized only when changing parameters of Wavegen channel used for generation this signal, and then it is repeated. When one want to use this noise to demonstrate how Scope's averaging works - it won't work well, even when generated with other AD device ;)

Here I came up with an idea to allow noise to be generated (pseudo)randomly by the hardware (I know it would require to change FPGA configuration).

Archived