Cannot connect to lwIP echo server on PYNQ

epsilonjon

Question

Hi,

I am trying to run the lwIP echo server application project template from the Xilinx SDK on my PYNQ board. I have followed this tutorial for the Zybo FPGA board (which also contains the ZYNQ):

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-getting-started-with-zynq-server/start

Everything works fine until the very last step, when I come to connect to the echo server using telnet. The PYNQ is telling my via serial comms that

Board IP: 192.168.1.10

Netmask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway : 192.168.1.1

TCP echo server started @ port 7

So I followed the instructions in the above link to set up the ethernet connection on my Windows PC with the static IP address 192.168.1.11 using the given netmask. Unfortunately when I come to connect via telnet using Putty, it tells me that the host is unreachable. I have also tried using my Ubuntu PC but I get the same problem.

I have tried debugging the echo server in the Xilinx SDK by setting a break point in the recv_callback() function, but it never seems to reach that part of the code, indicating that no packets are ever received from my PC.

Does anybody have any idea what I could be doing wrong please?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Yes I have tried both 100 and 1000 Mbps and neither work.

My complete serial output is:

-----lwIP TCP echo server ------

TCP packets sent to port 6001 will be echoed back

WARNING: Not a Marvell or TI Ethernet PHY. Please verify the initialization sequence
link speed for phy address 1: 100
DHCP Timeout
Configuring default IP of 192.168.1.10
Board IP: 192.168.1.10

Netmask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway : 192.168.1.1

TCP echo server started @ port 7

Note the line "WARNING: Not a Marvell or TI Ethernet PHY. Please verify the initialization sequence".

Can you confirm that the Zybo and Pynq boards (containing the Realtek chip) definitely work with the lwIP library, as described in the above tutorial?

Thank you.

Hi @epsilonjon,

I got the Pynq board as well as the Arty-Z7-20 to run the echo server today. Here is my project. I use the arty-Z7-20 board files. Added the zynq processor to the block design. Connect the FCLK_CLK0 to the M_AXI_GP0_ACLK, create a wrapper and generate a bitstream. Once the bitstream is generated I export the hardware and launch SDK. Once in SDK I create an application. I called mine echo click next and select lwIP Echo Server. I click into the BSP and click on modify this bsp. Make sure in the temac_adapter_options the phy_linkspeed parameter select autodetect. Then program the fpga and run the application. Make sure that you have altered your computers IPv4 connection and set it to something like "192.168.1.11". Then use a serial terminal to connect to the pynq board like in 12.3 of the zybo zynq server tutorial. 

thank you,

Jon

Archived