DIGILENT PMOD SD (Rev B) compatibility with Cypress PSOC CY8CKIT-042

Ragbagger

Hi,  I'm a newbie user interested in plugging the Digilent PMOD SD Rev B? Card into the Cypress PSOC 4 CY8CKIT-042 Development Kit in order to log voltage and current data from our sailboat during the summer.

My question is that the latest Rev B PMOD SD Card now comes with a 12 pin (6x2) male connector but the Cypress PSOC 4 CY8CKIT-042 Development Kit specifies only a single female 6x1 header (J5-Digi-Key Part NumberS5481-ND_SullinsPMOD-PPPC061LGBN-RC101).  I'm thinking I could install a female 6x2 header instead in order to use your new Rev B SD Card.  Otherwise I guess I'd have to order your Rev A card if still available.

The Cypress PSOC 4 CY8CKIT-042 Development Kit is the only one that provides a Digilent Pmod Compatible I/O Header (J5). There is also an Arduino Compatible ICSP I/O Header (J12) available on the Cypress board.  If this isn't a dumb question would I be better off trying to use ICSP with your SD card instead of SPI?  Please advise.

(FYI-Most of the load comes from our 12v DC refrigeration unit that draws from a bank of four 6v golf cart batteries that we charge from a 105 watt solar panel. I've been manually logging data from 2 "Watt's Up" Watt Meters adapted from model airplane data loggers. Load and charge currents range from 1 to 20 amps over the course of day and night. The "Watts Up" Watt meters each have a diode and a precision trimmed 1 milliohm resistor in them so a 1 amp current measures as 1 millivolt.  A microprocessor in each meter sums amp hours and displays the results on a small LCD screen.)

Thx, Ragbagger

Hi @Ragbagger,

Unfortunately the Digilent engineers here on the Forum don't have any experience with the Cypress PSOC boards, so we won't be able to offer much advice in terms of how to program it, but with the general SD card library examples that come with the Arduino IDE, you should be able to use just the top 6 pins of the Pmod without any issue. You should still use SPI though with the Pmod SD though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived