Vivado License on Cmod A7: Breadboardable Artix-7 FPGA Module

CleverDigitalGuy

Question

I have an Arty-35 evaluation board that came with a device-locked, node-locked Vivado license. (BTW, the board and tools are very nice). Does my limited Vivado license also cover programming the Cmod A7: Breadboardable Artix-7 FPGA Module which also uses an Artix-7 A7-35T FPGA component?  I think they're the same Artix-7 device, so it seems like it should work.  I'd like to purchase one of these Cmod A7 FPGA DIP devices, but I want to be sure my Vivado license will cover it.

9 answers to this question

Xilinx has a product brochure that specifies what devices are supported by the free version of Vivado ( they don't make it easy to find it ). This is the sure way to determine if your board will work. Digilent generally offers a voucher for boards that aren't supported by free Vivado.

And I hate to gripe about it but why don't posters see the little blurb under the Project Vault heading that says its a place to post project code and not for asking questions? (my eyesight isn't so good so perhaps I shouldn't be the one asking this question ).

Hello @CleverDigitalGuy,

My understanding is that a device locked license (the relevant bit to your question) will allow you to target a matching FPGA chip as per this Xilinx answer record. It's not cleanly worded since I imagine this isn't something that is actively advertised.

Otherwise, as @xc6lx45 and @zygot both alude to, both the Arty 35t and Cmod A7 35t can be programmed by the free webPACK version of Vivado, as indicated in the paragraph/list on this page on the Xilinx website.

Thanks,
JColvin

3 hours ago, zygot said:

Xilinx has a product brochure that specifies what devices are supported by the free version of Vivado ( they don't make it easy to find it ). This is the sure way to determine if your board will work. Digilent generally offers a voucher for boards that aren't supported by free Vivado.

And I hate to gripe about it but why don't posters see the little blurb under the Project Vault heading that says its a place to post project code and not for asking questions? (my eyesight isn't so good so perhaps I shouldn't be the one asking this question ).

I'm brand new to this forum, and I was very uncertain as to where to post this question.

@CleverDigitalGuy,

I wasn't intending to berate you. You are not alone and there are frequent posts to the wrong forum.

@JColvin Is there any easy way direct newcomers to the correct forum or for non-administrators to mark posts that should be somewhere else to assist in organization? I'm going to stop commenting. Finding pertinent answers to user's questions isn't easy; especially for older posts.

If you have doubts about your current license, it might be the easiest route to simply build a test design and see what happens.
Personally, I suspect that tool vendors make a great deal of money from uneducated users and are reluctant to change that.

This as constraint file

set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN L17 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33} [get_ports CLK12]
set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN A17 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33} [get_ports {LED}]

and

module top(input wire CLK12, output reg LED);
always @(posedge CLK12)
LED <= LED + 1'b1;
endmodule

should do the trick. Choose xc7a35tcpg236-1 under Vivado "project settings".

On 1/20/2018 at 1:08 AM, xc6lx45 said:

If you have doubts about your current license, it might be the easiest route to simply build a test design and see what happens.
Personally, I suspect that tool vendors make a great deal of money from uneducated users and are reluctant to change that.

This as constraint file

set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN L17 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33} [get_ports CLK12]
set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN A17 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33} [get_ports {LED}]

and

module top(input wire CLK12, output reg LED);
always @(posedge CLK12)
LED <= LED + 1'b1;
endmodule

should do the trick. Choose xc7a35tcpg236-1 under Vivado "project settings".

I bought a CMOD A7 with Artix-7 35T and checked it out.  I installed my custom UART module and checked it out on my node locked, device locked Vivado license (that came with the Arty 35 board).  Works great :)

Archived