arty xc7S50 vivado support win 8.1

DigitalConfig

Question

11 answers to this question

Hi @DigitalConfig,

The Arty-S7-50 is a new board using a new Xilinx FPGA. The Arty-S7-50 was only added last year in Vivado 2017.1 and on going. If you are planning on using the Webpack version I would suggest to use the Design edition. The webpack edition had issues with the MIG on the Arty-S7-50 up until the newest version Vivado 2017.4. You can use the design edition at no cost as long as you not targeting at design edition required FPGA. The Arty-S7-50 does not require you to have the design edition.  Unfortunately xilinx does not support window 8.1 on any of the versions of Vivado that would be able to use the Arty-S7-50 shown here. I does look like you should be able to use Vivado 2017.4 on a window 8.1 OS but might experience some issue and crashed as shown here. I do know that window 10 is supported if you were able/willing to upgrade your window 8.1 machine.

thank you,

Jon

I bought my 8.1 machine new and intended to use it as such because I like its quality.. it is a supported OS that isn't too old.

I really had high hopes for this FPGA board.  https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/vivado-webpack.htm says

all HLx version support my FPGA chip.  https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54242.html says that 2016.4 supports win 8.1.

and https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/vivado-design-tools/2016-4.html says

2016.4 is an HLx version.  you said the MIG has a bug.  the users guide for the 2016 does not show that it is compatible, so it

it is conflicting on the webpages.  I just purchased the product if there is no resolution I am going to have to request an exchange

to the lesser powerful arty artix product.

Sincerely,

DC

Hi @DigitalConfig,

The bug was in the Vivado Webpack Edition with using the MIG in Vivado 2017.1-2017.3 for the Arty-S7-50. We worked with xilinx and got the issue resolved in Vivado 2017.4 Webpack Edition. Here is the forum thread for the issues with the MIG. There was no issue in the with the MIG for the Arty-S7-50 in Vivado design editions 2017.1-2017.3.  We do not control what the xilinx page says and it has likely been updated to reflect the newest features of 2017.4. For the 2016.4 release notes from Xilinx that version of Vivado does support Windows 8.1, but it does not support Spartan-7 devices. I would suggest to install Vivado 2017.4 on you Windows 8.1 machine to see if you experience issues. 

thank you,

Jon

yes I did install that and it crashes as I mentioned in the initial question when I said and it does crash on 8.1

I get an error message saying api-ms-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll Is missing

that is with the webpack version installed. 2017.4

I would greatly appreciate acquiring a resolution, I want to keep this product, thanks.

Sincerely and thanks!

DC

Hi @DigitalConfig,

At this point I would try reaching out to Xilinx to see if they have any suggestions for the error message saying api-ms-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll Is missing. I did not see anything in their forum about window 8.1 and the newer versions of Vivado. Here the xilinx support suggests to re-install program when the program cannot start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. I also found a youtube video that might be helpful here

thank you,

Jon

I may be able to come up with a win 7 PC for me to use with the xc7s50 and 2017.4 thou I have concerns with it not being able to run on

webpack like specified but it will run on the deign edition.. everything I have read says the design edition is a trial 30 day version.  Can you

direct me to a website that specifies ill be able to use the design edition permanently or at least normally without acquiring a purchased

license please? 

Thank you,

DC

Hi @DigitalConfig,

I don't know if there is a specific website or page that will tell you this, but when you choose to download the installer for Vivado, during the installation process it will ask you which version of Vivado you want to install (webPACK, Design, or System edition). After you select which one you want (Design Edition in this case) you will be given the choice of which features of Design Edition you want to install (I generally recommend unchecking the boxes for Virtex and Ultra-scale, and potentially Kintex chips if you don't plan on ever using them to save on download space and help prevent various Vivado warnings) and then also uncheck the box that asks if you activate a license. The Design Edition will still be installed, but you won't have access to any of the paid features, which you likely will not need for the Arty S7-50.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

yes I understand that now.

I do not believe i have the option to upgrade nor downgrade the OS at this time.  I have come to appreciate xilinx FPGAs

as the best available on the market and Digilent Boards are the best boards Ive found to implement these FPGAs.

can anything be done please? 

Hi @DigitalConfig,

Not in terms of the software side of things unfortunately. Depending on when you purchased the board (in conjunction with our Return Policy) you may be able to return the board in exchange for a different one. You will need to contact our sales department by emailing sales at digilentinc dot com for more details on this.

Thank you,
JColvin

2016.4 claims to support win 8.1 and it does install and operate without crashing.on the install it has a check box for Spartan 7 devices which I checked to install when I launched the program I found it has A7 devices but it does not have any S7 devices to select even thou I selected the install Spartan 7 devices.  Is there away to add them so that they will be listed and selectable?

Thank you

DC

Archived