JTAG-USB Cable application

Hi,

We are going to purchase JTAG-USB Cable to debug our own developed chip. 2 questions here:

1. I assume this JTAG-USB Cable is able to auto-sense my VDD voltage level as long as it is within the range 1.8V ~ 5.0V. Is this correct?

2. We need this JTAG-USB Cable to do some configuration in our chip. Do I use "Digilent Adept Suite" or "Digilent AVR Device Programmer" to generate my JTAG signals/waveforms ? 

And one request:

1. I need a datasheet of JTAG-USB Cable datasheet if possible.

Please advice, thank you.

Tifei

Hi @Tifei,

I reached out to our design engineer about this thread and they responded suggesting the JTAG-HS2 instead of the JTAG USB. The VREF pin on the module uses the VDD voltage level supplied by the host board and will work with voltages between 1.8V and 5.0V. Adept can program some FPGAs but isn’t a general FPGA programmer, which is why he would point customers to the Xilinx Vivado tools for that. The AVR programmer hasn’t been updated in years so you would have to get really lucky in selecting a part that’s actually supported.  Unfortunately, a reference manual for the JTAG USB was not made . The Reference manual for the JTAG HS2 is here.

thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Please correct me if I am wrong:

1. Recommend using JTAG-HS2 instead of JTAG-USB. The reason is that JTAG-HS2 has VDD voltage level design but JTAG-USB does not.  It looks like JTAG-HS2 is newer than JTAG-USB cable?

2. Don't use AVR programmer since it is obsolete.

3. I am not using this JTAG-HS2 to configure Xilinx FPGA at all. So no Vivado tool is involved. I am using it to send in custom waveform into my own chip. For example, toggle 5 times at TMS while TDI is pulled high. To achieve this I need to use Adept SDK, am I right?

Tifei

Hi @Tifei,

For question number one, we recommended the JTAG-HS2 since it is a newer programming cable and has more support. For question number two, the AVR programmer still has a place in this world but only for very specific older AVR chips. Lastly for question number 3, you would be using Adept SDK. In this case you would use the DMGR and DJTG libraries to write your own custom application.

cheers,

Jon

Thanks Jon,

We take your advise by using JTAG-HS2. I also notice the Adept 2 is free downloaded including System, Utilities and SDK.

1. Should I install all 3 of them?

2. Can I install them in Windows 7 Professional or Windows 10 pc?

3. Can you provide an Adept 2 example? Something simple where I can start with. Thank you. 

Tifei

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

After studying the Adept 2, my questions concern the "target device" of the JTAG-HS2 programming cable.

1)  Can the HS2 talk to any non-xilinx jtag-compliant target device?

2)  I don't yet have the HS2 cable, and there is no target hardware available yet.  But going through the adept sdk jtag demo (using visual studio c++ environment), the executable requires a "device name" argument.  Where and how can this "device name" be found?

Tifei

Hi @Tifei,

I re-confirmed with our design engineer that you can use the Adept Utilities “dadutil enum” or “djtgcfg enum” and it will list the connected devices and their device names. The JTAG-HS2 can talk to non-xilinx JTAG devices as long as you write your own software for or find a third party software that does it, such as Open OCD.

cheers,

Jon

• 10 months later...

Dear Jon

I have received the HS2 (same as Tifei ordered), similar to Tifei im trying use the SDK by using the DJTG and DMRG libraries .

The adept2 recognized the HS2 cable.

I have installed the following: System, Utilities and SDK .

Im using Visual studio 2015 to execute the SDK code example.

The Build (Visual studio) was completed without any error .

Now im receiving the following errors in visual studio while executing:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\eeliavx\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\Debug\ConsoleApplication1.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\djtg.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dmgr.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dmgr.dll'
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vcruntime140d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbased.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbased.dll'
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbased.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\win32u.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32full.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp_win.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dpcomm.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dpcomm.dll'
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.9317_none_508dca76bcbcfe81\msvcr90.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dmgr.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dpcomm.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dabs.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication1.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel.appcore.dll'. Symbols loaded.
The thread 0x9db8 has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 0x661c has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 0x89b4 has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The program '[40600] ConsoleApplication1.exe' has exited with code 1 (0x1).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you help pls.?

what i did wrong?

Ehud Eliav

Archived