JTAG-SMT2 Connection Issue to Xilinx Vivado

nicol

Question

We have a board that uses the JTAG-SMT2 module to interface a Xilinx Zynq device. Most modules work without any issues, however one refuses to connect to the Zynq device. When first plugged into a computer (reproduced on 3 separate systems), it installs the FTDI driver for ‘USB serial converter’ properly. The misbehaving module installs an additional COM port driver and shows up as COMx. All the other working modules don’t install the COM driver.

Disabling the VCP option did not make a difference.

Version of the FTDI driver is 2.12 but also 2.10 and 2.8 did not seem to work.

Is there any settings to make the driver work, either in Windows device manager or FTDI FT_PROG?

Hi @jpeyron

I do have the same problem with a recently purchased Xilinx ZCU106 evaluation board. Xilinx support (SR#10449519) asked me to contact Digilent for the reprogramming application of this chip after I referred to this thread. Could you please send me the required tool?

Thanks
Martin

"Digilent USB Device" is present in the device manager USB Serial Converter properties, Vivado recognize as Digilent/210248657329 but status is closed ? Could anyone send me the reprogramming application if it's the solution of problem? 

Thanks

HI @cobbp,

One of our design engineers responded back suggesting that we could enable error logging by adding the following environment variables:
“ADEPT_RT_LOGDETAIL” with value “1”
“ADEPT_RT_LOGFILE” with value set to something like “C:\adept_log.txt”
We are not sure how detailed of an error this will provide from JTSC (the thing that knows how to program FPGAs) but it may give us some hint. Also, the XC7K160T is not on any Digilent system board so we’ve never tried programming it directly through Adept 2.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @cobbp,

I have reached out to a more experience engineer about getting more information of why it failed to program. They are currently out of the office until 11/13/17 so we may not have a response until next week. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Here is a forum that discusses the potential issues the usb cables can cause. Here is a forum thread where they are experiencing the same error from vivado and changing the usb solved the issue. 

thank you, 

Jon

Hi @attila and @Bianca,

I seem to be having a similar problem. I am using a JTAG-SMT2-NC on a custom PCB and it shows up as a USB Serial Converter in my Device Manager. The device is recognized in Adept as a JTAG-SMT2, but I cannot program a test bitstream through Adept.

In Vivado 2017.2, the device is recognized but I periodically get this error that disconnects the device while trying to program a lengthy bitstream:

ERROR: [Labtools 27-3165] End of startup status: LOW
program_hw_devices: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:32 ; elapsed = 00:00:42 . Memory (MB): peak = 1303.453 ; gain = 0.000
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'program_hw_devices' failed due to earlier errors.
ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-513] HW Target shutdown. Closing target: localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210251A46839

I am able to program short bitstreams before I get the error. The error "ERROR: [Labtoolstcl 44-513] HW Target shutdown. Closing target: localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210251A46839" will also occur passively while the device is connected in Vivado even if I am not trying to program the device and with no bitstream loaded.

If you think reprogramming my JTAG-SMT2 will help, can you send the fix?

Thanks,

Cobb Peterson

JTAG-SMT2Connected.PNG

JTAG-SMT2DeviceInstancePath.PNG

AdeptInitializeThenFail.PNG

On 18/09/2015 at 9:39 AM, attila said:

Hello Nicol, Friedrich

I just sent the reprogramming application to your email.

Best regards,
Attila

Hello Attila, 

I am facing the same issue, can you send me this reprogramming tool to me too?

Thanks

Hello,

Under Windows the "USB Serial Converter" name is shown. 
Please verify that "Digilent USB Device" is present in the device manager USB Serial Converter properties, like here:

img18.png

In case this descriptor is not Digilent proceed with the programming application sent you in private message.

Hello everyone,

I seem to have the same or at least similar problem with the JTAG SMT2. It does not identify as Digilent USB Device but as USB serial converter. It is not recognized by Xilinx Impact, whereas other programmers work just fine.

Could anyone provide the information/software/bitfile of how to fix this problem?

Best regards,

Johannes

Archived