CMOD A7 35T DIGITAL IO VOLTAGE

nicolasp5186

Question

5 answers to this question

@nicolasp5186

A question.

What are your goals for using 1.8V IO ?

Likely you will be losing all remote and EEPROM configuration as well as USB connectivity should you succeed in achieving your goals.

Usually people select a platform that supports particular project requirements rather than trying to bastardize ( yeah, I think that this is a perfectly legitimate technical term...) a platform that not designed to support it.  

I'm not associated with Digilent but do hope to see a reply from someone who is.

16 minutes ago, BogdanVanca said:

There is a similar topic on this forum that can provide an answer for your question. If you have any others questions please feel free to ask.

Similar isn't another word for equivalent. The A7 boards aren't Basys3 boards. But I do concur that you should feel free to ask questions and possibly consider replying to questions posed to you as well.

Also, this thread is better situated in the FPGA section of the forum....

Hello @zygot @nicolasp5186,

I attached the topic as part of my answer because, in that post are provided a lot of useful information regarding to this question. Yes A7 and Basys3 aren't the same boards, but if you are trying  to change the IO voltage from 3.3v to 1.8v, you use the same procedure. You need to find the power supply pin for the bank, desolder it, route a new wire with the appropriate voltage on it to the pin, and solder that in place. It's possible on A7 because you can output the 1V8 directly from the board but, it's not an easy job and we don't recommend it.

Best Regards, Vanca Bogdan

I replied to @nicolasp5186' question because of this:

1 hour ago, nicolasp5186 said:

I recently bought a CMOD A7 35T board because of the onboard SRAM 8ns.

Do you know how i can change the digital IO voltage from 3.3v to 1.8v ?

Sometimes I reply to a question about accomplishing a particular goal because I suspect that there are underlying issues that need to be resolved first... and might result in a different goal. If someone said to me that a week ago they bought this great 12 pound maul; and how would they use it to resolve a rodent problem... I'd want to back up the conversation a bit even though I can certainly see some interesting ways to accomplish just that goal.

I replied to the reply from @BogdanVanca because I didn't feel that his answer was helpful and was possibly misleading.  We won't know much without some more information from the person posing the question. Using a few IO to connect to an incompatible logic standard is a different proposition than what the question implies. The best asset of the A7 boards is form factor but I'm suspecting that what the questioner wants to accomplish is not similar. I'm not interested in getting into a spitting contest with a Digilent employee, nor am I implying any criticism toward anyone ... just trying to expand the conversation a bit to be helpful.

Archived