dbkincaid

Zybo Z7 HDMI project build issue

Question

When building the HDMI project using the Vivado TCL command line I get errors after the block design section when the script attempts to build a wrapper.  The source of the issue is that the block design pulls a HDMI core that is older than the one in my repository, so there is a 'update library' warning/error but it crashes the build with errors downstream.

I was successful with a workaround by breaking the build into (everything to block design).tcl and (everything after block design).tcl and I update the IP on the block design in between.  

I was hoping someone more familiar with the tcl scripting could propose a solution to the 'update IP' issue.

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Hi @dbkincaid,

Thank you for bringing this up to us. I tested both the hdmi zip and github projects for the zybo-z7-20 with similar issues. On monday we will fix and re-release this project. One of our IP Core was recently upgraded and I believe this is causing the issue.  I was able to get the github project working. After the project loads with the errors i upgraded the ips by clicking in tools->reports->report ip status and clicking to upgrade all checked ips. I then created a wrapper and was able to generate a bitstream from there.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @dbkincaid,

What version of Vivado are you using. This project was made for Vivado 2016.4.  We are going to upgrade this project to Vivado 2017.4 in the new future.

thank you,

Jon

I'm on ZYBO-Z7-20

The file I have is Zybo-Z7-20-HDMI-2016.4-1.zip

it's 135MB, and was created Nov 6, 2017

I'm almost completely certain I downloaded the zip from the page.

Ok I wondered if I was the only one with the issue.  I was able to work around, I was actually kinda hoping for a TCL guru to pop-in and say oh if you want to auto-update all IP's just write blah blah blah :)

Is the new release going to be 2016.4 or 2017.4?

Hi @dbkincaid,

The new release will be for 2017.4. As for the TCL gurus, you would likely have better luck getting that on the Xilinx Forums; those of us at Digilent don't necessarily have any more access to TCL commands outside of Xilinx's reference guide. Though I agree, a simple TCL command would be sweet :)

Thanks,
JColvin