Spent all day downloading and installing LabView

Galaxywatcher1

Question

Something is terribly wrong.  My code for the Home Version was not accepted at the NI downloaded LabView, and I don't know where I should have gotten the home edition, it would have been a lot more sane if I was given a CD for LabView Home Edition.  At 99% installed, I found out that I must not have a "Home Version" installed, because it didn't like my code.  It accepted my serial number, it never asked for part number.  I am extremely sad that I have spent all day on this, including updates for Windows Vista, that Microsoft found and told me to install.  I have professional version of MSOffice XP. Which is supported by Lab View, for at least another year.  Maybe in a year, when Windows Vista is no longer supported by LabView, I can get Windows 10.

So please tell me 1. Do I have to uninstall everything now?

2. Where do I get LabView Home edition?

Have a nice day, everybody.

4 answers to this question

Dear Cathy,

I'm sorry you spent so much time on this to not have it work. I would make sure your XP has Service Pack 3 installed. Here's a link to the windows webpage about that. I am not an expert with LabView so I'll try to help you the best I can. LabView does have it's own forum you can recieve some more support from. LabView forum page can be found here. Also National Instruments might have some more support for you also. NI's forum can be found here. I also found a single forum post on a different website about labview working on Windows 10 and says

I have updated my windows to windows 10 and LabVIEW seems to work just fine.
Actually, I find it much easier to navigate between windows with the new window manage (Alt+Tab/Win+Tab) because the thumbnails are larger.

Though this one person that said this I might wait a little long to make sure. As for uninstalling Labview it might help to uninstall and reinstall.  There are no hard copies of labview unfortunately. You can only install LabView and then input the licensing key to get the full Home version. You can check our project page towards the bottom of the screen for the Where to Start instructions. I'll try to find more help around the office and hopefully get back to you with more information.

Best Regards,

Bobby

Galaxywatcher1,

If you're using LabVIEW Home Bundle, you need to download LabVIEW 2014 SP1 (we are working on documentation to make this more apparent).  If you didn't download this version, I recommend you uninstall your current LabVIEW version and then check out my instructable that goes over how to install LabVIEW Home Bundle here which includes the link to the correct LabVIEW version.  If you're trying to connect your microcontroller (eg chipKIT WF32) to LabVIEW after installing LabVIEW Home Bundle, check out this Instructable and start with the installing NI VISA step (because you already have LabVIEW installed at this point).

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Dharsan

Thank you for caring about me.  I am going to try to uninstall the NI LabView Professional, that I didn't feel was the right version from the start, but I didn't know where the Home Edition of LabView was - it is definitely not at the NI site.  So now I know I have to get it somewhere on digilentinc.com site... however, in Boston, Massachusetts, I am experiencing an extremely slow internet today, in fact, I could only load www.google.com an hour ago.  This has never happened like this before.  My wifi button on my modem/router from Comcast is NOT blinking.  I tried every computer and laptop in my house!!!  

Since I have Windows Vista, I don't think I need Service Pack 3, that is required for Windows XP.  

Have a nice day.  I will try again tomorrow.  It is 4 PM on the east coast right now.

Sincerely, Cathy

Archived