App Note 2: Spectrum Analyzer - Analog Shield

Question

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am trying to find the Arduino/chipKit code for running the FFT Spectrum Visualiser Application Note. I can't seem to find the code, can anyone point me in the right direction? 

10 answers to this question

It's not a dumb question; they're a little tricky to find.

You can find all of the links to these code examples (not created by Digilent) in the tutorials created by Standford on the Analog Shield product page. The link you'll be looking for is the second document at the bottom of the product page labeled as "A collection of Instructables tutorials prepared by Stanford for the Analog Shield. Intended for Arduino™ users."

Inside that zip file, you'll find the "App Note 2 - Arduino Analog Shield FFT Spectrum Visualizer R08.pdf" document that has all of the links to the third party code you're looking for.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

I had the "App Note 2 - Arduino Analog Shield FFT Spectrum Visualizer R08.pdf" document already. But I still can't figure out where the code is?

Quote from the pdf - "Next open the “FFT_Visualizer” sketch with the Arduino IDE and upload it to the ArduinoUNO."

I have downloaded all the libraries but it is not clear to me where the "FFT_Visualiser" sketch is? See below for the linked libraries from the pdf.

The Open Music Labs FHT library
http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/ArduinoFHT
The Adafruit ILI9341 library (For the LCD)
http://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_ILI9341
The Adafruit GFX(library (For the LCD)
http://github.com/adafruit/AdafruitdGFXdLibrary
The Adafruit STMPE610 library(For Touch Functionality)
http://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_STMPE610
The Analog Shield library(for analog input)
http://github.com/wespo/analogshield(

There is also a quote of "The section of code below is not meant to convey the entire code, but merely the program low of the main loop.The entire program has many helper functions and takes up several 
hundred lines,not including the invoked libraries.The full code can be found at
http://www.digilentinc.com/analogshield"

Which obviously takes me back round in a loop, but  I still can't find the “FFT_Visualizer” sketch

All help greatly received, and again hopefully I'm not being dumb(I don't think I am)

No you're not being dumb; I'm having trouble finding the sketch (as opposed to the libraries that I originally thought you were looking for) as well.

After asking around (since I couldn't find it), I found the code was never loaded on the Digilent website since we have not gotten a chipKIT (PIC32) version successfully working to a full extent. I can give you a link to a partial version if like.

However, if you happen to be using an Arduino though, you can find the .ino sketch on William Esposito's github here.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

I am using an arduino so I will look at William Esposito's github code. Once I have played(bad word, I should say evaluated!) some arduino codes for a variety of applications, I will create a new thread asking about chipKIT versus arduino. The reason I'm playing with arduino is to try and create teaching material for medical devices. I see Digilent has a lot of free course material around chipKIT which would be a positive, but having to play around with existing arduino libraries(to make them work with chipKIT) for various applications would be a negative. Also note I have seen the Analog Discovery in action(and I like it) but it's not really suitable for what we want, we have also evaluated the NI MyRIO(which again I like) but is not really suitable for we want. I would say Arduino IDE sketch or chipKIT MPIDE are not ideal either as in we want a platform where we can do the full SW development(like MPLAB or Atmel Studio) but using a standard hardware platform(like arduino/chipKIT and shields) where we could also teach analogue and digital aspects. So if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Sorry I have another question ...

Do you know of any code that uses the 'updated' ADAFruit Touchscreen that uses a capacitive touch screen? I don't have much time so I'm updating the FFT visualiser code in spare 10 minute slots over the days(which actually isn't very efficient) to use the capacitive touch screen. Then realised why am I doing this, surely if Digilent want people to buy their products, then they should have code bases for their products?

Hi,

As for the full SW development like MPLAB, you can actually use a chipKIT programmer to program a small chipKIT board (such as the chipKIT uC32) from MPLAB.

In terms your other question, all of the code that Digilent has available was made to specifically interface with the components on the Analog Shield that we manufacture and sell. All of the demos to do other things, such as the FFT as well as the creation of the Analog Shield itself, was due to the following:

The Analog Shield was created in collaboration with Stanford University and the TI University Program and is manufactured by Digilent Inc. Its origins begin with Dr. Gregory Kovacs, professor at Stanford University, who wanted to capitalize on the successes his students were having with the Arduino and use that as a bridge into the world of analog electronics. Partnering with the TI University program, his student, Bill Esposito worked with TI engineers to create a shield that could convert an Arduino board into a powerful mixed signal prototyping system.

Consequently, presuming that William Esposito has graduated, he has not continued to update his code for other products. If you're looking for code to run Adafruit's touchscreen, I would recommend checking out Adafruit's website for any code that they have developed for their own product.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived