Can I replace the crystal oscillator in Max32?

Jack Z

Question

Hi, 

Does anyone know whether I can replace the crystal oscillator in Max32 with some other oscillators please? I have a 10 MHz master clock, and want to use this clock in the microcontroller. Is it easy to replace the oscillator? Or do I need to unsolder something? 

Thanks, 

Jack

2 answers to this question

Hi Jack Z,

I looked through some of the reference manual and talked to a couple members of our engineering team. It is possible to replace the crystal oscillator on the Max32 but we recommend against that. The problem with changing oscillators is having the rest of the board change to the speed of the new oscillator. While it is possible to do this it would require a high skill level and knowledge of how to do so. You would have to unsolder the oscillating crystal but the problem with that is that there is no through-put on the board for the oscillator. If you do try to unsolder the crystal you could damage the the board and render it useless. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just recommending against it. If you do plan to move forward be careful.

I Hope All Goes Well,

Bobby

Hi Jack Z,

I looked through some of the reference manual and talked to a couple members of our engineering team. It is possible to replace the crystal oscillator on the Max32 but we recommend against that. The problem with changing oscillators is having the rest of the board change to the speed of the new oscillator. While it is possible to do this it would require a high skill level and knowledge of how to do so. You would have to unsolder the oscillating crystal but the problem with that is that there is no through-put on the board for the oscillator. If you do try to unsolder the crystal you could damage the the board and render it useless. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just recommending against it. If you do plan to move forward be careful.

I Hope All Goes Well,

Bobby

Thank you Bobby! We will post a picture if we can unsolder the oscillator and replace it! 

-Jack

Archived