Atmel Firmware AT90USB162 from CoolRunner-II CPLD Starter Board rev3 (PN 410-146P-KIT)

orinoco

Question

hello,

my CPLD Starter Board rev2 is not working on Win7,

i like to update the Atmel Firmware AT90USB162 on my CoolRunner-II CPLD Starter Board rev2 (PN SK-CRII-L-G),

-> can you send me the Atmel Firmware AT90USB162 used on CoolRunner-II CPLD Starter Board rev3 (PN 410-146P-KIT) ?

(i checked, AVRISP mkII programmer is compatible with AT90USB162)

thank you,

best regards

14 answers to this question

Hello,

Unfortunately rev. D is a "weird" revision. They may look similar, but they are practically different boards. Digilent always sold rev. F.
Rev D is no longer being produced by Digilent. It was never even sold by Digilent.
It is an old rev with old firmware that (unfortunately) is still being sold by some distributors.
This board will not work with any version of Adept; it will only work with the Adept resulted after installing the included CD. Normally we do not offer support for this revision of the board (Rev D).

Please tell me if you manage to recognize the board after installing the Adept version provided by the CD. 

Regarding the CoolRunner Utility Window, unfortunately it is not working under Windows 7.

Good luck.

Cristian

Hello Orinoco,

How is the board not working?  Is it not enumerating in the device manager?  Is it not able to be seen from Adept or Impact?

The Atmel firmware has not changed from the CoolRunner-II Rev2 and Rev3.  So the firmware that is loaded at the factory is the latest.

Thanks,

Marshall

Hello,

my os is win7-32bit,

#1 i installed xilinx ise 14.7

#2 i installed digilent ExPort from the cpld starter kit (rev.2) CD 

after starting ExPort i can initialize jtag chain,

but when i try to program the the .jed file to cpld,

an error occurs - map file missing

( maybe this is a known problem, https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/316-coolrunner-ii-cpld-starter-kit-rev20/ )

thank you,

best regards

Hello Orinoco,

Sorry about the wait.

I am unfamiliar with ExPort but the reference manual says that the CPLD starter kit is programmed using Xilinx iMPACT.  Have you tried that?

I looked through the forum post that you linked and it looks like they never got a good solution.  Do you have the Rev D or F?  It appears that Rev F is confirmed working with Xilinx iMPACT 14.7

Hope this helps,

Marshall

hello,

on the bottom side of the board,

there is a silkscreen : Revision 2.0,

there is a label : Dnnnnnn (n=6 digits maybe a SN)

-> what is the difference between Rev. D and Rev. F ? (maybe the atmel FW)

thank you

best regards

hello,

the small silkscreen near the label says : Rev.D ,

i tested iMPACT 14.7, it is not working, the jtag chain can not be initialized,

i checked starter-kit schematic between rev.2 and rev.3 again,

there is only this atmel between PC-USB-Port and CPLD-JTAG -> i think there is only the atmel firmware changed,

thank you,

best regards

Where are you finding starter kit schematics?

I tested the CR2 in Adept and it is enumerating correctly.  Please download the latest Adept from here and see if you can get the board to enumerate.  This should be easier to test instead of iMPACT.  I didn't know this until I asked one of our engineers that knew more about the product.

https://forum.digilentinc.com/gallery/image/42-adept-imgpng/

Best of luck,

Marshall

Hello,

you can find the schematic on the cpld starter kit (rev.2) CD

-> (CD-ROM) D:\documentation\CR-II_sch.pdf

i downloaded and installed Adept 2.16.1 System, 32/64-bit Windows (digilent.adept.system_v2.16.1.exe)

-> adept says : Warning: Could not find specific board information (please see screenshot attached)

best regards

adept-warning2.jpg

i performed following steps :

#1 i connected my CPLD Starter Board rev2 to an old winXP pc

#2 i programmed the rev3 .jed file from (CR-II Demo.zip) with digilent ExPort

#3 the CPLD Starter Board rev2 is working fine with this new rev3 .jed file, the 7-segment display is running fine

-> i connected the board to the win7 pc again, the same problem, i can not program the cpld with digilent adept,

-> i think the cpld is working correct

thank you.

Archived