Using a HDMI sink and source at both the same time and in real time

JihS

Question

Hi,

I am new to this Digilent Forum and have questions to ask.  I plan to use both HDMI sink and HDMI source at the same time for my current project. The HDMI input will connect to HD camcorder and the incoming video streams will be processed by FPGA and displayed onto either a monitor or TV through HDMI output. I read somewhere that both HDMI sink and source can only be used in bypass mode in Nexys Video FPGA board.

I have 3 questions to ask 

1.   Can Nexys Video FPGA board be used for my project?

2.   Is it enough use the Vivado free WebPACK license (in terms of IPs) for my project because the Design Edition licenses for Vivado are not yet available for purchase?    

3.  Do I have any other cheaper choices such as the ZYBO FPGA board? But, the ZYBO FPGA board cannot use the HDMI source and HDMI sink at the same time.

Please give me your advice.

Thanks, Jim Soong

4 answers to this question

Hi Jim Soong,

The Nexys Video will be able to accomplish your needs; one of our forum members was able to get HDMI input and output running on their Nexys Video here. Based on that project, you will be able to simply use the Vivado WebPACK without issue.

I am personally not aware of any other Digilent board that has two separate HDMI ports so that you can both send and receive information simultaneously aside from the Nexys Video. If you are not limited to HDMI and are able to use VGA to send the (presumably) 1080p data from an FPGA to a monitor, then the ZYBO does become a cheaper option for you.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

Thank you for your input.

I am thinking of using VGA to HDMI Converter from Amazon for ZYBO FPGA.

What is your opinion?

Thanks, Jim Soong

Check how many bits per pixel the analogue VGA output is.... it is definitely not 24 bpp.

Hamster is right, I had forgotten about the fact that you not be able to achieve that high of resolution from the VGA port on the ZYBO. You will be severely limited in the color depth that you would be able to produce, which in your case since you want to stream HD camcorder images to the monitor, will be a determent for your project, so the ZYBO may not work out for you.

Archived