Help With Xilinx's VDMA Driver For Linux

digicloud14

Question

Hi all,

I have a Zybo Zynq 7000 and have been working on a custom design in Vivado 2014.4 which uses the VDMA IP core. I want to access the data stored in the VDMA in Linux userspace and am using embedded Linux (a Ubuntu 12.04 distribution). I have generated a device tree for the design and have verified that Linux recognizes the VDMA as a device (it is listed in /sys/bus/platform/devices).

My question now is how to actually use the VDMA? I've been reading around on the forums and online and see that you must either use the Xilinx VDMA driver for Linux or use mmap, but many people reccomend using the driver instead of mmap.

There does not seem to be a lot of documentation on the VDMA driver, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with how to install/configure the VDMA driver and use it? I found this http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/DMA+Drivers+-+Soft+IPs#AXI%20VDMA but it is very brief. It mentions it can be configured through menuconfig but it does not explain how to do that. I am very new to Linux and have no experience with menuconfig but from what I've read I can mess up a lot of things if I don't know what I am doing with menuconfig.

Can anyone show me how or point me towards a good guide or tutorial for configuring and using the VDMA driver,or Linux drivers in general?

Thank you,
Chris

3 answers to this question

Hi Chris,

It didn't seem to make it here to this thread as well, but our support team was able to respond to a different question on Linux drivers here. (Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to answer your question though, but I'll ask them again).

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived